Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
Old 04-29-2016, 05:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Aux Input to factory Delco head, Best method

Old 10-07-2014, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aux Input to factory Delco head, Best method

Similar to how I've done other heads, here's how I added an auxiliary input to a Delphi Delco GM head. It's mostly about tricking the stereo to believe the CD (or changer) had made a successful handshake/plugged-in, so the amplifier remains active for the channel.

After I modded this, I found a similar mod on this forum, so I thought I should post my version -which does not require a CD to be playing constantly, whirring, and wearing out the unit. I could never abide by that inefficiency!
--
Here are my notes from the (simple) procedure:
Install a 3.5mm (or RCA etc) Female audio jack with the wire for Left audio signal to the #1 connector/thin Black wire on the CD module's connector, then common ground to the large #2 wire, finally Right signal wire to #3 pin/wire (White) on the connector. You can splice these wires into the connector, or solder them to the backside of the connector on the circuit board etc. I put them on the backside, didn't get a picture. And I placed the jack on the rear, so I can route another cable anywhere, easily removable from the head.

Now cut the #7 wire (7th from end the audio signals and thick Black ground wire are on). Install any on/off switch between both cut ends of the wire. Mount the switch anywhere convenient. I put mine just above the Audio button, because in my head unit there's an open space. It doesn't show when installed in vehicle.

THAT'S IT!

Now, test it out:
Turn unit on with a CD in it, let it begin to play, then flip the switch you installed. -display will say "err", CD will stop, and revert to playing radio. HOWEVER, now you can just press the CD button and it will open the CD amp channel for whatever aux-in you are feeding in. It won't try to spin the CD unless you flip back the switch.

This works perfectly! The only time you ever need to use the switch you've installed is when you want to use the CD player again, or if the car battery's been disconnected.

Any suggestions, just tell me and I'll update..
Attached Thumbnails Aux Input to factory Delco head, Best method-_mg_6802m.jpg   Aux Input to factory Delco head, Best method-_mg_6805.jpg   Aux Input to factory Delco head, Best method-_mg_6806.jpg   Aux Input to factory Delco head, Best method-_mg_6803m.jpg   Aux Input to factory Delco head, Best method-_mg_6801.jpg  

Last edited by AceTechOne; 10-07-2014 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:03 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I'll have to try this. I've been holding off on this until I had time to figure out the switch wire!
Old 10-17-2014, 11:33 AM

Hey that is a great idea , but my Cd radio always is in err and won't play Cds always rtn the cd out . Can i use this method and will work ? The other method with the cd running wont work for me do to the Cd problem.
2002 z28

Last edited by Fonsi; 10-17-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:53 PM

I doubt it will work, you really need the CD player to intialise successfully once..
Does your CD actually spin-up at all, but just not register a CD? If you're sure it spins, then it could easily be just a dirty lazer lens -you could snap open the CD unit and wipe the lens with your finger or a cloth. I've never bothered with anything other than finger, and it usually worked often back in the day. Also used to have success by forcing the lazer/reader part of the player sideways -the gears always allowed it to be forced without damage. If you can get your CD to work, then the mod will work too.

Having said that, It's still possible if you put a switch on the #7 wire that it'd keep the CD audio channel open.. we're really tricking the unit's firmware, so it's unpredictable how it'll behave. Like if maybe it is in a different "err" state, because of a dead CD module, perhaps disconnecting/switching the wire could still cause another error, allowing the audio channel to remain on..

try it, only takes a few minutes at least to snip the wire and test if the channel's open!
Old 10-18-2014, 07:33 AM

Well i try all that but still err also the CD is not spinning only after the err show up and rtn the CD , not idea what is wrong with this Demon . I will try to ck if the sinal will keep open when i put the cd in and plug something to the aux fast maybe that will keep it open and works even when the cd is rtn. Any way is like $4 and some time in the garage with some brain helpers 12 of them will do just fine. so total of about 20 for Me ha ha . let you know if works. now where i connect the cables on the aux part is 5 terminals and you use 3 plus the switch. or your is dif. that the one is use in the other way.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:16 AM

Yes, mine is different, uses only 3 wires to a standard stereo audio jack. ground, left, right. plus the one to switch. You could use a 5wire audio jack if that's what you have (or scavenged from broken electronics), and ignore the extra pins.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:07 PM

Hello, I appreciate you sharing your modification to add an audio input to your Delco stereo! In my case it did not work. I did the mod just as you explained even though there is a difference in the position of the connector on the board & the number of wires is one less (14) wires. The second wire is white & thin where your second wire is black & larger gauge. The first was still black & thin in my case. The part number of my radio is 10315119 & made in 2003. It is the same in appearance in every way except that one connector from the CD player to the main board. I am hoping you have access to schematics & can help me identify the correct wires for my unit. There is a label on the board that says "Cavalier Base CD 1221548". Thanks very much! Keith

One additional bit of information is that there is another connector from the CD module as well with 6 wires. There is a black wire on one end with 5 whites.
Thanks!

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 03-09-2015 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 03-07-2015, 04:51 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 140 Posts

See if this thread helps:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...t-adapter.html
Old 03-08-2015, 09:54 PM

Default Aux Input Mod

That thread was a big help. The audio wires were three in a row on the smaller connector in this radio. Black & two whites. If I cannot find out what wire to add a switch to turn off the CD drive I will do it as in the thread. Thanks very much!
Old 03-17-2015, 12:45 PM

Default Thank You!

Thanks AceTechOne!

Works Great on my 2001 S10 Delco Unit.

A couple of years back I did the other mod that requires you to have a CD playing, and it worked okay until the CD player took a dump. CD was coming up error all of the time, and could not find the tracks. I tried a CD cleaner to no avail. I also had an issue with some music in the background from the CD, but fixed that by making a blank CD to use with it, but then the CD player took a dump. I did a google search trying to find a way to repair the CD player, and I found posts by techs saying that these Delco Units are know for having issues with the CD players.

So, I purchased another Delco unit on eBay that was being sold, "as is" for parts. I pulled out the CD player unit only, and swapped it with the broken player inside my unit. I did this mod, and it works just as advertised!

Play a CD, flip the switch on wire 7, unit says Error and goes back to FM, then just press the CD button again, and now the Aux jack is live, without the CD spinning!

Awesome! Like the title of the thread says, "The Best Way!"
No need to be putting wear and tear on the CD Player.
No background music bleeding over from the CD.

Thank you for sharing this awesome Mod!

Morpheous

Last edited by Morpheousman; 03-17-2015 at 02:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-27-2015, 10:26 AM

I have a 2003 Chevy Avalanche with a base delco radio that has single cd player and no xm or external cd.

I would like to perform the cd mod with cd error switch (that AceTechOne described) provided I can determine the right wires to splice.

I have included a picture of the radio board. The two connectors at the bottom of the picture are coming from the cd unit. I suspect that the connector on the right is the one with the audio signals given that it looks like the audio amplifier is on that side, but would like to confirm that this is the right one.

1. Which connector (right or left) should I use for left (pin 1), right (pin 3), & gnd (pin 2)?
2. Which connector (right or left) should I use for the pin 7?
3. What is the function of pin 7?
4. Does the switch for pin 7 need to gnd pin 7 or disconnect pin 7 from gnd in order to cause the cd to error out and switch back to fm?
5. what should I use for grounding the switch (pin 2 gnd or chassis or other)?

Thanks,
rccbflyer

If useful the delco radio part number is 15184932.

Thanks,
rccbflyer
Attached Thumbnails Aux Input to factory Delco head, Best method-cimg4177.jpg  

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 07-29-2015 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 09-23-2016, 12:50 AM

I want to get an AC Delco radio from a 2006 Grand Prix to work on the bench.
I just want the unit to power up and show the display. I'm not worried about the security on the radios. I can reprogram the EEprom to get by that.
I have the two power and two grounds hooked up. I get lights on the buttons and CD and the CD ejects. The display shows absolutely nothing.

Is the radio waiting for a signal from a car to turn on?

Harness colors
Radio battery=orange
Radio Ground = black and white
Stereo antenna trigger = violet
stereo amp trigger -= violet
Old 09-23-2016, 06:44 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

It would appear you're missing an input. Head units generally have two power inputs... battery power to maintain the memory and run the clock and ignition switched power to actually power the radio.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:42 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

^ I don't expect GM would get too imaginative with the radios across cars: https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ml#post5923441

Do you have a red and yellow wire, also? If so, try them.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Head units generally have two power inputs... battery power to maintain the memory and run the clock and ignition switched power to actually power the radio.
I want to add that I believe this is the wrong way to view the power lines anymore. I'm gonna say that the constant power (larger gauge wire) is what does the powering while the switched ACC power is now an On control signal. This would be in line with the practice of running smaller control wiring throughout. Notice the small, small wiring in instrument clusters and such.

BTW, my Radio Shack is still stocking the switched jack. p/n 2740246

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aux Input to factory Delco head, Best method