Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

making sub work?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 04:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default making sub work?

I had a blown sub on the drivers side. I disconnected it. Now the passenger side is dead! I assume I need to jump the drivers side to complete the circuit. I am no electronics guy so should i just go red to red black to black? I cut off the plug from the bad speaker and can just tape it together until I pick the replacement speakers. I just want to make sure thats the right way
Old 01-23-2015, 06:57 PM
TECH Addict

nope, definitely not the answer, ALL speakers are separate channels, no wires from one channel should touch another channel.

your problem is somewhere else DO NOT jump wires from one channel to another.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:44 PM
Teching In

Well, I missed your advise and closed the loops and got full sound again. It now sounds like a normal stock stereo in any car. What could this be damaging?! I only drive it a short time and didn't crank up the volume. I like to hear the motor still as I'm learning the car and how it likes to be driven
Old 01-24-2015, 11:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Bgrand281
Well, I missed your advise and closed the loops and got full sound again. It now sounds like a normal stock stereo in any car. What could this be damaging?! I only drive it a short time and didn't crank up the volume. I like to hear the motor still as I'm learning the car and how it likes to be driven
Your subs must have been wired in series so when you disconnected one it left you with an open circuit. By connecting the wires you just closed the circuit and no damage should occur. If they were wired in parallel then hooking the wires together would have caused a short circuit and that would have likely damaged the amp/stereo.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:20 AM
TECH Addict

there is NO conceivable reason anything on the factory speaker locations should react like that if it is still using the factory wiring and factory amp, it sounds like some previous owner has messed with the wiring pretty bad or done some odd choice of wiring for an aftermarket amp that would cause you to lose left/right channel balance ability on those speakers, I would suggest finding someone that knows car audio and have them check out the wiring.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
there is NO conceivable reason anything on the factory speaker locations should react like that if it is still using the factory wiring and factory amp, it sounds like some previous owner has messed with the wiring pretty bad or done some odd choice of wiring for an aftermarket amp that would cause you to lose left/right channel balance ability on those speakers, I would suggest finding someone that knows car audio and have them check out the wiring.
i'll be looking for a place near joliet/plainfield IL

Quick Reply: making sub work?