Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

I need a 6.5 Monsoon DVC sub

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a 6.5 Monsoon DVC sub

At least I think that's what I need. IT gets so confusing with the TA's being different than the Camaro's and the Monsoons different from the non ones and some being dual voice coil. The car is a 2001 Trans Am with the Monsoon system and the blown speaker is the one immediately to the side of a passenger behind the driver. IF anyone has one for sale, please let me know. It's my mom's car and I only need to replace this one speaker and not do a 2 sided upgrade unless I cannot come up with a speaker. Guess I could always give her my old 10" Brahma and JBL 1200 watt amp just sitting here.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:35 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Try Kee Audio. He has full Monsoon speaker packages. You could upgrade all the speakers (plug and play from him) and keep the Monsoon system. It'll sound 10X better and won't break the bank.

He also has a Bazooka package for like $79 shipped to replace both those pillar subs.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:29 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by albow
IT gets so confusing with the TA's being different than the Camaro's and the Monsoons different from the non ones and some being dual voice coil.
This is the price you pay for the exclusivity, extra luxury, and boosted social standing that comes with driving a Firebird.

You should replace both of the speakers now and the Bazooka's are probably your best bet. (If you love your Mom - this is the way to go.) They are an easy install, a reasonable price, and sound way better than the stockers.

Odds are both of her speakers are currently shot and that one of them is more badly torn than the other, which is why you notice it more. If you were to put in only one replacement speaker and solve that problem, I'll bet that issues with the other original will be revealed.

The stock DVC sail speakers just can't hold up. There are lots of posts out there from folks who put in GM replacements, just to have them tear immediately.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by wssix99
This is the price you pay for the exclusivity, extra luxury, and boosted social standing that comes with driving a Firebird.

You should replace both of the speakers now and the Bazooka's are probably your best bet. (If you love your Mom - this is the way to go.) They are an easy install, a reasonable price, and sound way better than the stockers.

Odds are both of her speakers are currently shot and that one of them is more badly torn than the other, which is why you notice it more. If you were to put in only one replacement speaker and solve that problem, I'll bet that issues with the other original will be revealed.

The stock DVC sail speakers just can't hold up. There are lots of posts out there from folks who put in GM replacements, just to have them tear immediately.
May have to go that route but still hoping to get out cheaper with my wallet. To give you an idea of how little this car is driven, it has 30,000 miles. She'd sell it but dad doesn't want to for some reason. They're in their 70's and certainly don't need it. Heck, I can hardly even get in and out of it.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:00 AM
Save the manuals!

It sounds like just unplugging the speakers may satisfactorily solve your problem if you don't want to inherit it.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:07 AM

Yeah, but I'd rather fix it for her.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:42 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The link posted in your other thread had information about a cheaper alternative but they don't sound anywhere near as good as the Bazooka or CDT subs.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:40 AM
Save the manuals!

Yeah, but I'd rather fix it for her.
This is just one of those not-so-common situations where a lasting fix requires an upgrade from the original.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:20 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would caution you against coaxial replaents. Just in case you're considering that. Coming from exp, that's a bad idea.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:55 PM

Definitely not planning on a coax. Just trying to get by minimally since she doesn't care how it sounds (except for the rattle) and never drives it. Anybody want to buy it? $16K she said.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:34 PM

I bought my ws6 with 30k miles for 10k, 16k is way too much
Old 03-01-2015, 10:32 PM
Save the manuals!

$16K she said.
If it's worth that much, you should definitely replace both speakers with a reliable set.

If Mom can afford to have a $16K car around that she doesn't drive much, why isn't she buying the parts???
Old 03-01-2015, 11:51 PM

As you can see, they don't want to sell it too badly.

Quick Reply: I need a 6.5 Monsoon DVC sub