Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Starter Grinding after VATS bypass.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 10:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Grinding after VATS bypass.

2000 TA completely stock. Back Story: A few days ago, I tried to start the car, and instead got silence and a flashing security light. I checked the Starter, battery, clutch switch, fuses etc just in case, and the only thing left to go wrong was the Passkey vats stuff. I measured my key to 4550 ohms, and got the resistors to make 4750 (Pellet 11). After finishing the bypass, the security light went out, however when I tried to start the car, the starter made a grinding noise, and the car sounded like it wasn't turning over. My question is: What did I do wrong? While measuring, the pellet in my key fell out, would this make a difference even though it has been bypassed? Is it possible that Vats is disabling everything but the starter? Tomorrow, I'll go back and check my math on the resistors just in case, however I'm almost positive I got it right. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Motopilot
Old 05-02-2015, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At this point your battery may be low and the grinding is the starter not engaging
Old 05-02-2015, 03:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
At this point your battery may be low and the grinding is the starter not engaging
Thanks man, Hooked up the charger. We will see in a few hours.

Motopilot
Old 05-02-2015, 10:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Motopilot
Thanks man, Hooked up the charger. We will see in a few hours.

Motopilot
Well, the good news Is I got it started. Bad news is the starter still grinds The VATS bypass worked from the get-go. At least I have the satisfaction that I did my Math right, (all 2 addition problems).
I'm just going to guess that the gears on the starter got worn from all the wear they've been getting from not moving, starting, or doing anything in the past week. Everyone knows that sitting and doing nothing causes the worst wear on starters.

Motopilot
Old 05-14-2015, 10:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It's gotta just be coincidence.

Quick Reply: Starter Grinding after VATS bypass.