Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Device found in car... Can you identify it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Device found in car... Can you identify it?

So, after removing this device and re-connecting some wires, my speedometer problem has been "fixed."

Background: Purchased a used 6 speed LS1 with 4.10 gears, no problems, accurate gauges.

Around a year and a half after purchase, speedometer malfunctioned and only displayed a 1/3 of the actual speed. Vehicle speed sensor and instrument cluster had been replaced to no avail.

After looking around the car I found this device under the instrument cluster. I removed it, reconnected some wires, and the speedometer now works. albeit - it runs around 15 mph fast. Do you think a 4.10 gear change and different tire sizing could justify the current speedometer inaccuracy?

Here's the device.

the socket is a standard phone socket. Do you think it was used to hook up to a laptop?

Inside the black sleeve there's a small computer chip.

It seems like this device was a ghetto way of adjusting the speedometer for a gear change? Have you seen anything like this before? I'm getting a good laugh out of it.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:25 PM
Launching!

Bingo. Find a programmer, or someone that can change settings for you, and make the change in the computer. That thing is the 'easy' way to adjust ratios...
Old 11-19-2015, 11:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Can't say I've ever seen one of those before, but it doesn't surprise me that it exists.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1999nbmZ
Bingo. Find a programmer, or someone that can change settings for you, and make the change in the computer. That thing is the 'easy' way to adjust ratios...
Out of curiosity, can you explain this a bit further? What is it exactly? Do you think it's homemade?
Old 11-20-2015, 09:41 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

It's a "Speedometer Calibrator" and if you google for the term, you'll find a ton of similar-looking devices that come up. Maybe your's went bad? There are probably a few capacitors and resistors on it's board and just blowing one of those could throw its function off.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

Seems so, thanks a lot

Quick Reply: Device found in car... Can you identify it?