Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

GXP Grandprix 2005 monsoon system i want to add sub and amp

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GXP Grandprix 2005 monsoon system i want to add sub and amp

I have a 2005 Grand prix GXP with monsoon system and I want to add sub and amp to system with stock radio,The ground wire is done but I need to know can I tap into onstar for amp on/off power and what color code wires do I tap into from the back sub speakers or speakers for the new sub
Old 05-02-2016, 08:20 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The Grand Prix Monsoon system is very different from the ones used in F-bodies so I highly recommend you check a Grand Prix forum before using the information I am posting here. You might want to start with grandprixforum.net.

The GP Monsoon system combines a special head unit producing line level output with a small 8-channel amp mounted under the rear parcel shelf on the right side. There are nine speakers in the system - two door mids, two door tweeters, two rear shelf "subs" with coaxial mounted mids (somewhat like the coaxial component door speakers in a Camaro) and a front center speaker.

You should use the "radio on" signal wire for your amplifier's turn-on connection. It is the purple wire at the Monsoon amp in position A3 of the 24-pin grey connector.

You could try using the line level signal wires to get signal for your sub but I don't know how the Monsoon amp combines the rear channels to produce the sub output (both factory subs share the same signal - there is no left and right). If you want to try that, the wires in the 24-pin connector are:
Left rear signal positive: brown/white (A4)
Left rear signal negative: brown (A5)
Right rear signal positive: bark blue (B5)
Right rear signal negative: black (B4)

However, I would think that tapping the speaker wiring would be an easier choice. If you get an amp with speaker level input, no extra parts are needed. If not, you will need a Line Output Converter (LOC) to convert the speaker level output to line level input for your amp. The factory sub wires are dark blue/white for positive and light green/black for negative.

Quick Reply: GXP Grandprix 2005 monsoon system i want to add sub and amp