Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

2002 Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 05:31 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2002 Alternator

First I Would like to say thanks to all for this site. Although I do not post much, I do read from it quite a bit.
So I own a 2002 ws6, Coming home the other day when I looked down and noticed my volt gauge was low, around 10, when I got home it was at 8 or so. As i'm pulling in the driveway it kicks in and starts charging, then quits again. Well its 1 of those Lmtd Lifetime Wrntys from ******* Auto, so I pull it off head up to the store. Confident its the voltage regulator but they have to check it first in order to replace. The guy runs it on the machine and it test fine. 14.7+. I had him check it 3 times. All Good. so I reinstalled it and started checking all my wiring. Rebuilt the exciter harness so I would know it wasnt a connection problem. All the way back to the CPU. 10.2 volts from the exciter with it unplugged from the Alt. 1.23 while plugged in. still no charge. I have another CPU, put that in and same issue. Confused after 5 hours straght. I decided that I would take it into my own hands and definitely make it not work, took it apart and cut the brush wires, (dont tell on me) took it back to another store and guess what, it checked out good. So I spoke with manager who did an override and let me get another. I checked the exciter voltage with it plugged in and now im at 7+. As soon as I started the car it started to charge. Idled for about 10min at 14.8 and has been fine since!
So...The moral of the story is dont always trust what the POS Test machines tell you!! 5+ hours of headache
Thanks for letting me rant
Old 04-15-2017, 05:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So what's it suppose to be when unplugged or plugged in, the excite wire to make the alt work properly?
Old 06-15-2019, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 pwrd NOVA
So what's it suppose to be when unplugged or plugged in, the excite wire to make the alt work properly?
Did you ever find out the proper voltage
Old 06-15-2019, 08:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra456hp
First I Would like to say thanks to all for this site. Although I do not post much, I do read from it quite a bit.
So I own a 2002 ws6, Coming home the other day when I looked down and noticed my volt gauge was low, around 10, when I got home it was at 8 or so. As i'm pulling in the driveway it kicks in and starts charging, then quits again. Well its 1 of those Lmtd Lifetime Wrntys from ******* Auto, so I pull it off head up to the store. Confident its the voltage regulator but they have to check it first in order to replace. The guy runs it on the machine and it test fine. 14.7+. I had him check it 3 times. All Good. so I reinstalled it and started checking all my wiring. Rebuilt the exciter harness so I would know it wasnt a connection problem. All the way back to the CPU. 10.2 volts from the exciter with it unplugged from the Alt. 1.23 while plugged in. still no charge. I have another CPU, put that in and same issue. Confused after 5 hours straght. I decided that I would take it into my own hands and definitely make it not work, took it apart and cut the brush wires, (dont tell on me) took it back to another store and guess what, it checked out good. So I spoke with manager who did an override and let me get another. I checked the exciter voltage with it plugged in and now im at 7+. As soon as I started the car it started to charge. Idled for about 10min at 14.8 and has been fine since!
So...The moral of the story is dont always trust what the POS Test machines tell you!! 5+ hours of headache
Thanks for letting me rant
so did that so did that fix it having alternative trouble myself I measure 10 point five volts at the Exciter wire but at the plug in its 9.7 this is before I plug it into the alternator of course so I'll assume it's getting 9.7 volts into the alternator just curious if that saw this you I myself have been having trouble with alternators

Quick Reply: 2002 Alternator