Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Is a brand new bcm plug and play?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 11:16 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is a brand new bcm plug and play?

I have had the window/radio issue for a while.Recently the lights staying on while driving and after I shut the car off for a little bit.All in all if I get a new one bcm will it just have to be installed and your good to go.I have heard with the used ones you need new keys made and ignition switches id rather cut around the bs.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:51 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

A new BCM self-programs to match the first ignition key used after installation. After that it cannot be reprogrammed. When you install a new BCM, simply insert your existing ignition key, turn it to the RUN position (don't actually start the car), wait for the normal warning light self test to complete (about 10 seconds) then turn off the ignition. Your new BCM is now programmed to match your key and the car will start normally.

However, if you're referring to the outside lights when you say that they are staying on, that is not related to the BCM. The BCM handles door locks, retained accessory power for windows and radio, rear hatch release, various warning lights and chimes, interior courtesy lights, VATS, keyless entry, and the optional alarm system. Exterior lights are not related to the BCM except for the alarm flashing the parking lights when triggered.

Quick Reply: Is a brand new bcm plug and play?