Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Gauge and HVAC Lights Don't Work After Head Unit Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gauge and HVAC Lights Don't Work After Head Unit Install

I installed a new aftermarket head unit and now the dash gauges and HVAC lights won't turn on. The dimmer switch does nothing. I checked every fuse inside the car both visually and with a tester and they're all good. I checked every fuse that was small enough for my tester under the hood and they're all good. I even tried replacing the most obvious fuses out of desperation and that didn't fix the problem. I rechecked all my wiring to the radio and there's no exposed wiring that could be touching anything. I hooked my monsoon head unit back up and they still don't work. All other lights seem to work fine. The HVAC ***** not lighting up I could live with, but I can't tell what speed I'm going when I drive at night because the speedometer doesn't light up. Any suggestions on what else to check is appreciated.

Last edited by cool whip; 04-18-2017 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:43 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turn the parking lights on, and then search through your fuses again. Most likely lost the fuse for illumination due to hooking the ground to the illumination wire. This wire will test as a ground when the lights are off, but will have voltage when parking lights are on.

The other mistake that people run into is not protecting any of the orange wires on the aftermarket radio harness. If you're not hooking up the orange wires, they need to be protected from shorting out.

Post up any results or additional questions, I doubt anything was damaged.

Just saw this thread, check fuse #16 on the bottom row...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ey-turned.html

Quick Reply: Gauge and HVAC Lights Don't Work After Head Unit Install