Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Weird electrical issues after battery cable upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 09:09 AM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Weird electrical issues after battery cable upgrades

So about two months ago I installed three cables in my car that was supposed to improve voltage and light flickering. One was from the passenger side ground to battery in which I completely removed the stock wire. Another was an additional ground from the driver's side head to the fender well. The final one, and the one I believe the one that may be causing me trouble, is from the alternator to the driver's side terminal. Was I supposed to use this in conjunction with the stock power wire or omit it? As it sits I have them both connected to the alt and terminal. My next upgrade will be a truck alternator as soon as I can source one.

As of now the voltage on start up is improved. But once warmed up it hangs out around 13 like it would without any alterations. My oil pressure gauge likes to bounce around unlike before and my lights seem to flicker which didn't happen before. That leads me to believe I have an incorrect installation or really need the KG3 alternator to take advantage of these cables.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:45 AM
Lup
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you are still having the same issues as before you replaced the cables.
Looking at wiring diagram, the positive cable goes straight from the battery to the alternator.
I believe you might have an alternator issue or battery issue.
Whats the age/status of the alternator? Battery?
Not sure why the issue with the gauge is going on.
I would upgrade the alternator, and see if that fixes all the issues

Quick Reply: Weird electrical issues after battery cable upgrades