Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How to hook up electric switch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 03:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to hook up electric switch?

I am trying to hook up led lighting to switches I purchased, unfortunately I have no idea how to do it. There are 5 tabs in total
Power
Negative
NC
NO
C
I know how to hook up positive and negative but the others I am not sure. I just want to press the button and turn the lights on and off. I have attached pictures and need to know how to route the wires from the lights which only have positive and negative to the switch. I already know how to hook up the power to the car. A picture or diagram would be great with instructions. Thanks

Old 06-09-2017, 07:00 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

What kind of switch did you get? It sounds like a momentary push button (i.e. it does not stay engaged when pressed). This will not work for your lights without adding a controller that gets activated by a momentary signal. What you want is a push-on/push-off type switch.

The terminals you have are:
positive = power for the switch illumination
negative = ground for the switch illumination
C = common = power input to go through the switch to the load (your LEDs)
NO = normally open = output connected to common when the switch is pressed
NC = normally closed = output connected to common when the switch is released.

If you really want to use a momentary switch like that then you can get a PAC TR-7 controller module on Amazon for about $15. It has a bunch of functions including one designed to allow a momentary switch to be used as a push-on/push-off switch.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Looks like the switches have some kind of internal relay. I wonder if it's a latching relay or just momentary like WhiteBird said... That being said, those don't look like momentary switches to me.

This is how I would wire it:

Be sure to cap off the NC terminal. That will have 12v at all times and if it touches metal it will short out. (Be sure to fuse your connections as well!)

If they are momentary then my suggestion would be to swap them out with a toggle switch.

Quick Reply: How to hook up electric switch?