Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Trunk mounted battery

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk mounted battery

you guys using (2) solenoids when installing your battery in the trunk ?? A new Ford type AND the original starter solenoid. So the purple original wire (GM) goes to the "S" terminal on starter AND the new wire from the Ford type solenoid. I believe this is done so the battery cable from the trunk to the front of the vehicle on starter is only hot when cranking. I always thought it was a NO NO to use two (2) solenoids (Relays really) on the same circuit.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The original purple wire will go to the new solenoid in the (I assume) trunk. then you will jump the battery cable on the stater to the "s" terminal on the starter.

When you engage the ignition switch to start the vehicle it activates the solenoid in the trunk letting power flow in the battery cable which activates the jumper wire on the starter.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:31 AM
Staging Lane

Thank you for the reply. No jumper for an LS application. It causes "Run On".
Old 09-26-2017, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DT69cam
Thank you for the reply. No jumper for an LS application. It causes "Run On".
So, I'm curious about the "run on" as this is the set up I planned on using in my project.

If the power to the starter and jumper is cut by releasing the the ignition switch which kills the power to solenoid how can the starter run on?.

There is no longer 12v going to the starter at all.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

Senna, the "jumper" wire causes "run on" when using magnetic starters as what is used most of the time with LS applications. The fix as I am told is to install the orig purple wire on the "s" terminal of the starter along with the new installed wire from the new solenoid in the trunk. So now you have 2 wires on the "s" terminal. But back to my OP. I always thought this was a NO NO because now you are using 2 solenoids in the same circuit.

Quick Reply: Trunk mounted battery