Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Rear Bazooka Subs/Speakers for convertible

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 09:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Bazooka Subs/Speakers for convertible

Recently did an install for my girlfriend's 1994 Firebird Forumla Convertible. We did some 6.5" Alpines up front and the suggested 6.5" Bazooka Subs/speakers for the rear. However, with the convertible top components there are some major clearance issues and I have had to space out both speakers by about 1.5-2 inches. This causes them to rest against the interior panel and vibrate. Are there any remedies to this? I tried doing a quick search on the matter and have found nothing. Thanks.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:18 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The Bazooka subs are recommended for the sail panels in Monsoon equipped coupes (97-02) and the 10-speaker premium audio coupes (94-96) but never for convertibles due to the fitment issues you have discovered. Your best bet would be to get some shallow speakers for the back.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:25 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone found some shallow speakers for a vert that give decent bass response?
Old 11-08-2017, 07:51 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Probably the best shallow mount mid-bass at a reasonable price is the CDT Audio CL-6SL. They are available on Amazon for $135 and will fit without any spacers but they are a little smaller than stock so you can't use the factory mounting holes (just rotate the speaker a little and use self-tapping screws). Adding a gasket between the speaker rim and the mounting surface will also help in avoiding buzzing and rattles.

Quick Reply: Rear Bazooka Subs/Speakers for convertible