Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Alpine head unit question

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Alpine head unit question

In about 2 weeks i'm having an Alpine CDE-W265BT head unit installed in my 99 Firebird. it has the Monsoon factory system, but I have already upgraded the door speakers with the CDT audio cl-61cv.2 mids and highs. I was wondering if I should install the CDT crossovers that came with the speakers before I take it to Audio Express? I was thinking about using the CDT crossover for the tweeters only, replacing the factory high pass filters. Would this modification make any difference at all? I removed the factory high pass filters from my tweeters and installed the filters that came with the CDT speakers I purchased. I only used the high pass side for the tweeters, I capped off the low side wires coming from the filter and the difference in the highs is like night and day! when I was using the factory filters it moved the center of the sound to backseat of the car. I had to adjust the fader towards the front to balance it out, thus lowering the volume. Now it's back in the center and the highs are screaming!!!! My ears are still ringing from the test ride!

Last edited by br549; 01-10-2018 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Update on install
Old 01-10-2018, 02:11 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

You can't use the CDT crossovers as crossovers because they are designed to split a single signal but you could use them as a high pass filter if you use them for the tweeters only. It is possible that they would work better than the factory filters merely because they are set up to match the frequency response of the CDT tweeters. But it wouldn't hurt anything to leave them out as long as the factory inline filters are present.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Thanks for the reply.

It finally quit raining here so I'm about to start removing the factory hi pass filters and install the ones that came with my CDT speakers. I'm only going to use the high pass side on the tweeters, I'm not going to mess with the mids. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Alpine head unit question