Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Converting to LEDs

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 07:26 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting to LEDs

ok thinking about goin with all led lightd on the entire exterior of the car. What all is involved is it just as simple as switching out the bulbs or is there wiring involved?
Old 05-11-2018, 02:48 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Do you have a particular reason to switch or is it just because LEDs are what everyone is talking about these days?

Skipping headlights (DO NOT install LED bulbs in your headlights)... you have fog lights; front parking lights / turn signal / DRL; side marker lights; rear running / turn signal / brake lights and backup lights.

Fog lights: bulb type 800/881. Don't go too powerful because the factory fog lights are just decorative with no beam control so light scatters everywhere and can blind other drivers.

Front amber lamps (parking/signal/DRL): bulb type 3157. These lamps really benefit from LEDs because they don't generate the excess heat that the standard bulbs produce which causes lamp housing damage. Be careful to get bulbs that aren't too long because of fitment issues. You will need to install either load resistors or a replacement turn signal flasher designed for LEDs to keep your turn signals working.

Side markers: bulb type 194. This is a common LED bulb but they tend to look bad in side markers because you end up with a little spot of light rather than the whole lens lighting up.

Rear lamps (running/signal/brake): The two inboard bulbs on each side are 3157. The outer ones are 1156 and the side markers are 194. Same requirement of flasher or resistor for turn signals as well as getting bulbs with lots of side output to avoid the small spot of light appearance.

Backup: bulb type 3155 but you can use a 3156 or 3157 LED bulb in its place.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 478 Likes on 368 Posts

There are two types of flashers available, resistive and electronic, the resistive ones will hyper flash with LED's because they are designed to flash quickly if the load s too low so you know you have a light failure, the electronic ones blink at one rate no mater how much load there is, usually found in the trailer accessories section, switching to an electronic bypasses the need for a resistor on each light circuit to keep the flashers happy, if your have a really late model car that knows when a bulb fails you will need a resister in each major socket.. I like the LED's for their very fast light up speed, makes signals and brake lights much more noticeable..

I aim currently running a LED/9004 bulb in my headlights ,, they illuminate nicely and have an adjustment to make sure the beam matches the reflector better. Not as bright as my H4 100/60 watt bulbs I use offroad in my jeep but for city driving they are great for me. They are in my Honda Fit EV helps reduce load on the battery.. = More range..
Old 05-11-2018, 04:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanting brighter lights and different color but my buddy told me about hid lights
Old 05-12-2018, 02:37 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

For side markers, turn signals, taillights, get the color LED that matches the lens (or in the case of a clear lens the color that should be there) and make sure its a "bulb" that has a cluster of multiple LEDs facing all around and not just in one place (unless they are the philips ones tha have the LEDs aimed back at the reflector).

For fog lights, replace the housings with an LED fog light. I haven't seen any good drop-in bulbs (maybe they exist) that shine the light out in an acceptable pattern in the 880 size.

For headlights, skip LED on a Firebird. There aren't any really good options. Although there are some drop-in LEDs that may work in other housings, due to the housings available and space available, its not going to work out to something good unless you go custom with aftermarket LED projectors and make housings to contain them. If you want an easy and stock-looking upgrade for the headlights, get the LMC Housings and 9011 bulbs (for high beam) and 9012 bulbs (for Low Beam). The LMC Housings are intended to use 9005/9006 bulbs, but 9011/9012 bulbs are upgraded replacements that fit and align correctly (might need minor trim to tab on the bulb, might not).

There are some 9005/9006 LED bulbs that have passable beam pattern in some housings, but there is limited space on a Firebird so they may not fit (due to the heatsink on the bulb) and every housing reacts differently to LED so it may not be useful light. If you want to try it though, get the ones that have 3-4 small LEDs in a line that lines up with the filament of the Halogen bulb it replaces (not the cluster style mentioned above which are for turn signals).

Last edited by VIP1; 05-12-2018 at 02:43 AM.