Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sail panel speakers not working in my 93 T/A

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 06:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Sail panel speakers not working in my 93 T/A

I just changed my head unit in my car for the 2nd time but this time my sail panels speakers arn't working. The one I took out was a Sony and they working fine with it. It was only 208 watts. This one is 340 watts, does that effect it. I'm at a loss, any suggestions would be great!!!
Thanks Ron
1993 Pontiac Trans Am T-Topped 6-speed manual!!!!
Old 06-06-2018, 07:26 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

First, do you have the base audio system (two door speakers and two sail panel speakers) or the premium audio system (door and hatch area speakers plus subs in the sail panels)?

Second, what kind of head unit and what's the real rating? 340 watts is an ILS rating (If Lightning Strikes). Look for an RMS rating for the head unit... it will be somewhere around 18 to possibly 25 watts per channel. In any case, the rating of the head unit won't be the cause of the speakers not working unless you cranked it all the way up the first time you turned it on and blew the speaker voice coils.

Did you use an adapter harness to connect the new HU to the factory wiring or did you cut and splice? Generally, the first place to look after a new installation is for loose wiring connections.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used an adapter harness, the same type as I had on the Sony head unit. 340 watts is the max rating. I'm not looking for outrageous rattle your car apart sound, just good sound. I don't like to cut and splice wires if I can help it.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:55 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Well, if you have checked that all connections are solid and secure then perhaps it's something to do with the new head unit. Have you tried plugging in the previous Sony HU to see if the speakers work with it? That would tell you whether the problem is with the HU or the speakers/wiring. Some brands of head unit have configuration settings that will turn off certain channels based on the selection of pre-amp output (RCA) versus high level (speaker level) output or the addition of a sub with amp. What make and model is your new head unit?
​​​​​​​