Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

fuse melting

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 02:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default fuse melting

Hi All,
I have an 01 ss camaro the problem I'm having is when I turn the rear defrost the fuse melts and smokes, but doesn't pop, the fuse powers up the power seat and the rear defrost using a 30a fuse.
please let me know what I could check to have this issue resolved.

Thanks again.

LS,
Old 06-14-2018, 04:16 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Replace the fuse. That circuit originally came with a 30A circuit breaker but it's perfectly acceptable to replace it with a 30A fuse as long as it isn't a slow-blow version. Fuses are designed to protect the wiring (not the accessory that's connected) from overheating and possibly causing a fire when too much current flows. Any fuse that gets hot but doesn't blow isn't doing its job either because it's damaged or because it isn't the correct rating.

Chances are that a new fuse will blow when used (because something is obviously drawing too much current). Then you'll have to find out what is causing excessive the current draw. If it doesn't blow as soon as you plug it in then you should be able to narrow it down to either the defogger or the seats by operating each and seeing which causes the fuse to blow. Then you'll have to get out your multimeter and put on your detective hat to start tracking down the cause.

Quick Reply: fuse melting