Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need help with Monsoon Stereo Speaker

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with Monsoon Stereo Speaker

So let me start off by saying that i have a 1998 Camaro with the stock monsoon system. When i bought the car, the whole driver side sounded like crap. The door speaker is blown. The sail left rear speaker does nothing. Now i know my door speaker is blown since it makes noise. Very low and static like, which I assume is blown. Ive since removed it with no replacement. But the rear sail left, the sub one. That one im unsure about. As for the back ones in the hatch, they are fine since they were just unplugged. Ive plugged them back in but still sounds crappy... but better than nothing on the left side.

So now my problem... This left rear sail speaker. Keep in mind. Im still using the stock speaker. My first thought was its the speaker. Ive tried tried switching it with the right side (which works) and the right side continued to work after swapping. So ive concluded its not the speaker

Ive replaced the Head unit.
I thought it may have been an issue with the stock HU, so i went to Wal-Mart and replaced it with a cheap Dual HU. I know ive wired it correctly. Everything works minus that back seat speaker. And the front door that ive yet to replace.

So i thought maybe its my Amp
Well i bought a new amp and reinstalled. no luck

So my last resort was to rewire the left rear and left front to the amp and rewired the wires going to the sub. STILL nothing. But the back hatch still plays, so i think i rewired the left side okay. Pretty positive everything was rewired correctly.

I did notice on the monsoon faq the wires for that Amp. The F10 and F11, were actually swapped on my plug. Not sure if that made a difference

But yeah... Im starting to run out of ideas here...any help would be appreciated

Old 08-19-2018, 08:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Uroxilis
So let me start off by saying that i have a 1998 Camaro with the stock monsoon system. When i bought the car, the whole driver side sounded like crap. The door speaker is blown. The sail left rear speaker does nothing. Now i know my door speaker is blown since it makes noise. Very low and static like, which I assume is blown. Ive since removed it with no replacement. But the rear sail left, the sub one. That one im unsure about. As for the back ones in the hatch, they are fine since they were just unplugged. Ive plugged them back in but still sounds crappy... but better than nothing on the left side.
I don't have all the training required for wiring but I really think you should be testing your sound system with all speakers hooked up. Just in case the system requires continuity and so that you can better diagnose what the problem is that you are having! From what I learned very recently about the monsoon speaker system, the head unit controls the tweeters, or the treble sound while the factory amplifier controls the bass for the larger speakers. I have to assume you may need all speakers hooked up to better diagnose the whole system.

So now my problem... This left rear sail speaker. Keep in mind. Im still using the stock speaker. My first thought was its the speaker. Ive tried tried switching it with the right side (which works) and the right side continued to work after swapping. So ive concluded its not the speaker
This doesn't make sense to me. So you swapped the "bad" driver side speaker to the passenger side and it worked? Did you also have the other speaker plugged in? When I was still using the Delco brand factory speakers when they were still available they would do the same thing you described so I decided to buy another speaker just to test it and surely enough I got the sound quality back to optimal so even though you ruled out the speaker, it probably still was a bad speaker...

Ive replaced the Head unit.
I thought it may have been an issue with the stock HU, so i went to Wal-Mart and replaced it with a cheap Dual HU. I know ive wired it correctly. Everything works minus that back seat speaker. And the front door that ive yet to replace.
You are now throwing parts at the problem and exacerbating it without diagnosing it part by part, speaker by speaker! Furthermore, I would never trust "cheap" head units and the factory head unit really isn't all that bad, even with upgraded CDT brand speakers from Kee Audio, a vendor on this site. It's okay though, you can fix this problem.

So i thought maybe its my Amp
Well i bought a new amp and reinstalled. no luck
I have a feeling you now altered your former Monsoon speaker system and now it certainly won't function correctly. The larger speakers operate only in bass and via the amplifier. Aftermarket amplifiers, from what I read, operate both tweeter and bass in a speaker that can fit in the factory location, but if you are using factory Delco speakers still, it may or may not operate the speakers as desired and the wiring to make them work is beyond my understanding and comfort level. Is this amp a dedicated replacement for the factory amp?

So my last resort was to rewire the left rear and left front to the amp and rewired the wires going to the sub. STILL nothing. But the back hatch still plays, so i think i rewired the left side okay. Pretty positive everything was rewired correctly.

I did notice on the monsoon faq the wires for that Amp. The F10 and F11, were actually swapped on my plug. Not sure if that made a difference

But yeah... Im starting to run out of ideas here...any help would be appreciated
I strongly suggest you upgrade your speakers.

You already have a new amplifier and head unit so if you contact the owner of Kee Audio about these components he may be able to guide you on how to wire them up or whether or not he can offer you a different speaker package to get the most out of what you have. I can tell you, even with a factory Delco head unit and amplifier, my CDT brand speakers sound like top quality speakers when I can adjust the equalizers for sharp crisp treble and enough bass that won't blow out the speakers I have. It, at times, has sounded like I have a subwoofer in my hatchback, that is how good his package was for me.

Last edited by Phoenix'97; 08-24-2018 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Non-sponsor link violation

Quick Reply: Need help with Monsoon Stereo Speaker