Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Reverse / Back up lights. Need pin out and schematic.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 08:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Reverse / Back up lights. Need pin out and schematic.

A long story short, my car uses Big Stuff 3 piggybacked on the stock computer. I bought a Speed Engineering adaptor harness to allow the stock computer to run stuff on the car. Security, ABS etc. What they didn't tell me was they .deleted back up lights and back up lights and cruise control. I can live without cruise, but backing into the garage or at parking lots is a pain at night with just parking lights. After I bought it I did call them and ask, and all I got was it has what it has. Basically sorry for your luck.

So I want to rewire the backup lights to function and not sure where the signal goes from the reverse switch off the transmission. I should have done this 10 years ago, but just getting around to it now.

I have searched with Google and the search function with little to no luck.

I also plan to put a reverse camera on the car, so the lights will help that too.

Thank you in advance.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:38 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The original circuit is very simple and has no computer control. Power is fed from the TURN B/U fuse to the neutral safety switch (automatic) or backup lamp switch (manual) via a brown wire. In both cases, the switch is closed only when reverse is engaged. Power flows through the switch to the backup lights via a light green wire. On an automatic, the wiring is all inside the car (except for the last few inches that go out through the back panel to the light sockets) bundled with the other tail lamp wires. On a manual, the circuit goes out to the transmission and back into the interior through the grommet on the right side of the firewall below the PCM.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:57 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The original circuit is very simple and has no computer control. Power is fed from the TURN B/U fuse to the neutral safety switch (automatic) or backup lamp switch (manual) via a brown wire. In both cases, the switch is closed only when reverse is engaged. Power flows through the switch to the backup lights via a light green wire. On an automatic, the wiring is all inside the car (except for the last few inches that go out through the back panel to the light sockets) bundled with the other tail lamp wires. On a manual, the circuit goes out to the transmission and back into the interior through the grommet on the right side of the firewall below the PCM.
So they just deleted a portion of the wire harness? Nothing goes to the PCM? So I need to find that wiring path to reconnect it. Ugh, through the firewall again and pulling up carpets.

Might be easier to chase the rear wiring from the back forward. I know were the reverse switch is on the T56. So no relay?

Thanks.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:24 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Nope, no PCM, no relay, just straight wiring. Rather than doing a lot of wire tracing, it might be easier to just run a separate wire from the switch into the car under the dash, behind the kick panel, under the rocker panel, and behind the quarter trim to the back and splice into the sockets there.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Nope, no PCM, no relay, just straight wiring. Rather than doing a lot of wire tracing, it might be easier to just run a separate wire from the switch into the car under the dash, behind the kick panel, under the rocker panel, and behind the quarter trim to the back and splice into the sockets there.
It should be fused though, right? I should be able to buy one of those inline fuses somewhere local. Incase of a short.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:36 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes, if you can't find the original brown power wire easily then you should ensure you have an appropriately sized fuse in the circuit to protect from over-current situations. Just make sure to put it someplace accessible and make a note about it so that you don't end up with a backup light failure and can't find the fuse.

Quick Reply: Reverse / Back up lights. Need pin out and schematic.