Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

need help with installing speakers to 2nd row

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with installing speakers to 2nd row

so i installed 4 new memphis speakers to my driver, passenger, and the 2nd row. my fronts got the mids and highs. my rears are just putting out bass. i think the owners before messed up the wires from the clip. i made a diagram of how the speakers are set up. should the red and red wire be hooked up in the same connector? or should i have a red and black in a connector? i went through all my settings in my headunit but the rears are just straight up producing bass. all 4 speakers are ran from the headunit by the way. im using the pioneer avh 500ex. thanks
Old 09-04-2018, 08:01 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

It looks like you have a Firebird with a Monsoon system... otherwise you wouldn't have four wires on each side. That means two things - you have not rewired to run those speakers off the head unit (they run off the Monsoon amp) and they are not properly wired at the speaker. The two pairs of wires on each side are designed to run dual voice coil speakers. Each pair is a separate channel from the amp and they should never be connected together. In essence, you have bridged the channels from the amp and the Monsoon amp does not support bridging. You're lucky to have not destroyed the amp yet.

However, the wiring is not the cause of the bass-only output. The sail panel (back seat) speakers are supposed to be subs so the Monsoon amp only sends low frequency (bass) signal to those locations. If you don't want that then you'll have to rewire the speakers directly from the head unit although you'll get better overall sound by keeping the amp and putting the proper DVC subs in the sail panels.