Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Removed viper now car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 09:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Removed viper now car won't start

So I was at a parking lot and the car wouldn't start. Key in, no power. So I fully removed the Viper Alarm but now the car won't start still. Again key in no power. Can anyone help.

Old 11-06-2018, 01:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless someone lives right by you - not really. It's obviously a wiring issue. Removing alarms doesn't disable them. If it did, they wouldn't be much of an alarm.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:18 AM
TECH Regular

I'm good with wiring. Just confused about the situation. Does the old key fob need to be programmed again
Old 11-06-2018, 01:36 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

What made you decide that the Viper alarm was the source of the original problem? There are numerous causes for no start situations and I would not assume it was the alarm unless I had other evidence. Do you have power other than for starting (lights, etc.)? Are there any warning lights on? Have you bypassed VATS?
Old 11-09-2018, 10:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Have you checked all the relays/power/ground under the hood? After that I would make dam sure the battery is good and has good connections at the posts. Side note: If you yanked the alarm I bet the starter kill is still wired in. The wires at the starter kill relay will need wired back together after you solve your first problem.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:10 AM
Teching In

Starter kill is the Thick yellow wire. It will usually be split into two. Please do not touch the thin Yellow sleeve with the two wires inside. This is airbag. If you don't feel conformable I would advise taking it to someone. A good shop may charge a couple hundred bucks or less.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:30 AM
TECH Regular

So I got the car to start. Had my tuner bypass vats in the pcm. The viper may have been good lol.

but now the door locks won't work. They unlock but won't lock

do I still need to wire in the resistor for vats to get my door locks to work? Reason I ask is because the security light is still on in the dash

Old 11-13-2018, 11:42 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Regardless of what a tuner may tell you, you can't entirely bypass VATS with programming. VATS prevents starting using two separate methods - disabling the starter relay by not providing ground to the relay coil and disabling the fuel enable signal to the PCM. You can program the PCM to ignore the missing fuel enable signal but you can only enable the starter relay by physically changing the starter relay ground wire.

That being said, if the car starts and runs then VATS is not the source of any other issue other than the security light in the instrument cluster. It is not connected to the door locks in any way although the two circuits are both housed in the BCM. Have you tried locking with the fob and with the switches on each door? That would tell you whether the problem is with the remote, a door switch, the wiring from the switches to the BCM, or possibly the BCM itself. You could also try grounding the red/black wire in the green 6-pin connector at the BCM - that should lock the doors unless the BCM is faulty.