Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Half dead stereo

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 05:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Half dead stereo

On the way home my factory monsoon cd stereo decided to turn off and on a couple times then went full off. No display or anything even though the car was running. I figured it was the bcm or a loose power wire but when I hit the cd eject button it spit out the cd like nothing was wrong. Is there anything obvious that would allow the cd drive to function even though the rest of the stereo is acting like it has no power?
Old 01-07-2019, 07:54 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 262 Likes on 226 Posts

Yup... two different power supplies to the head unit. There is a constant (battery) power supply that maintains the clock and station memory and for some reason also powers the CD eject motor. Then there's the RAP (Retained Accessory Power) circuit which powers all other functions such as display and actual music playing. That RAP circuit comes from the BCM and is a common source of problems with the radio cutting out. If your power windows stop functioning at the same time then it's almost certain that is the source of the problem. Of course, it's always a good idea to test the RADIO fuse (#17 - 15A) first.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:19 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Yup... two different power supplies to the head unit. There is a constant (battery) power supply that maintains the clock and station memory and for some reason also powers the CD eject motor. Then there's the RAP (Retained Accessory Power) circuit which powers all other functions such as display and actual music playing. That RAP circuit comes from the BCM and is a common source of problems with the radio cutting out. If your power windows stop functioning at the same time then it's almost certain that is the source of the problem. Of course, it's always a good idea to test the RADIO fuse (#17 - 15A) first.
Sounds stupid having 2 power supplies, until the unit dies with a cd in it. When that happens it turns out to be a brilliant idea lol
Old 01-08-2019, 03:23 PM
TECH Resident

I checked the fuses and the radio fuse looks good but very old (contacts are discolored and the plastic is cracked). I swapped it with the airbag fuse and the radio display flashed hh then came back to life. I'm hoping it was just a worn out fuse, but I have a feeling the bcm is going to get a bit of work in the near future.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:48 PM
TECH Resident

I called it. Tonight the bcm decided to play games. Close the door and stereo and windows go dead. Open and close the door again and everything starts working but the passenger window is really slow and the stereo dies when I turn off the ignition. I guess I know what I'm doing next week lol