Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Installed Double DIN Sony XAV-AX100 in Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 10:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed Double DIN Sony XAV-AX100 in Trans Am

Though I would share the recent upgrade I made to my T/A. When it bought the car it had a single DIN bottom of the line Pioneer unit. I've owned the car 3 some odd years now, and I've hated the radio since I got it. At the time, I don't think we had the replacement options we do now. Between sticking out the dash like a growth an inch and a half, and the thing being so cheap the buttons rattled noticeably over bumps, it was time to get rid of it. Gotta thank the guy that put it in though. He had the decency to use an adapter harness instead of cutting up the stock wiring.

Got the stereo off Crutchfield with a Metra install kit. This unit looks absolutely fantastic in the car. It has a factory looking matte grey finish (to match the grey of my '99 interior) instead of the piano black most units have which doesn't go with anything in my car, and frankly looks out of place (the aeroforce does too, but that's a function over form item). It also has a single DIN back, meaning the face of it is 2 DIN, but the radio itself takes up half the space. This allows it to slide over the top of the original mounting brace for the factory stereos, without cutting up the dash. Also allows extra room for the harnesses.

The Metra bezel fits rather well. The finish on it does not match the factory bezel, but the color does. I may do some work to it to more closely resemble the original, but it looks good either way. The mounting brackets for the unit supplied had to be cut down some to fit in the opening better, but a hot knife makes quick work of it.

Total install time, between dicking around and playing with some other stuff, was about 3 hours, including making the adapter harness. Thrilled to pieces with it. Apple Carplay is an awesome feature, never had a vehicle with it before. Allows the use of GPS through the unit too, instead of holding the phone or paying a ridiculous amount for a GPS integrated unit. Love that it allows custom backgrounds too.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:22 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Nice job. Double dins look right at home in these cars and really modrenizes them.

I've looked at that sony also. I like having a **** and i like that it's not shiny black.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:56 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed that same unit in my car last year, really nice and no complaints once I figured out the button mapping on the head unit is useless in our car. You map the buttons with the external interface. I like how easy it is to turn off the display at night too, just press the volume **** and hit screen off. Android auto has worked perfectly for me too.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Nice job. Double dins look right at home in these cars and really modrenizes them.

I've looked at that sony also. I like having a **** and i like that it's not shiny black.
Definitely.

The stock units look ok.
1.5 din looks like trash.
Double din looks like it was meant to be.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just put the AX200 in mine. Love it so far, very clean.