Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Using 3 channel speakers in place of dvc subs

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using 3 channel speakers in place of dvc subs

I recently have been fixing my 2002 transams sound system after realizing how bad the previous owner has butchered it. I've removed all the wiring garbage that was installed and have got enough of the stock wiring repaired to run four 6.5" 3 channel speakers. 2 in the doors 2 where the subwoofers would go.

I've used the guides to bypass the monsoon amp but I'm only getting sound from the door speakers where as before I could at least get some bass from the speakers in the sub location when the amp was installed. Anyone know the what pins on the amp harness I need to use jumpers on so I can get music running through them? I've got a dedicated subwoofer installed with it's own wiring so I'm not wanting to run 2 other subs when they are just gonna get drowned out.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:40 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

First, you must have missed the discussions of how bypassing the Monsoon amp without installing an aftermarket amp in its place is a pointless thing to do. You give up amplification to run off the head unit directly for no better reason than a few people saying that the Monsoon amp is no good (...that and big box audio store employees not knowing what they're doing). My recommendation would be to put the Monsoon amp back until you have plans to go with a full aftermarket system. Failing that, the complete pin-out list for the Monsoon amp connector is in the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the forum.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would leave the monsoon amp if I could my problem is the previous owner cut a lot of the wiring off super short on the harness and must have realized their mistake and tried running their own wiring directly from the radio by splicing it, twisting the wires together and taping it and using a bunch of old crossovers, splitters, and rca cables to try to get it to work.
This mess took me two days to remove and I was fortunate enough to be able to save the door wiring and the rear subwoofers wiring. but my hatch speakers and all the tweeters will need new lines and I don't have anymore time for running wires right now. Which is why I'm bypassing the amp for now.

I checked the FAQ and I guess I didn't look far enough for the pinouts so I should be able to solve my problem with that. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:11 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Well, you might be able to find an amplifier pigtail at a junk yard to replace the butchered one. The original part number was 12110115 but that number has since been reassigned to a different connector so you wouldn't be able to get it from GM. However, all 4th generation f-bodies used the same connector so it wouldn't matter if you got it from a Camaro or Firebird. You might even be able to get one really cheap from a member here who replaced their entire audio system with aftermarket... the parts wanted section could help there.

If you do bypass, remember that both the doors and the sail panels had two pairs each so you'll have to match up which pairs you connect at the amp with the ones you connect to your speakers. Also, the door and hatch area tweeters were separately powered directly from the head unit and not from the Monsoon amp (Firebird only - all Camaro speakers were powered by the amp).