Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

DRL Module Question (I know it’s been covered)

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 09:22 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DRL Module Question (I know it’s been covered)

Good morning everyone. My question involving the DRL’s on my 2000 TA has been gone over numerous times in the past. I’m asking about this again to get some clarification on where to look and what to look for in regards to this issue. As far as the history with my car, my DRL’s worked intermittently in the past. Sometimes they worked, sometimes they didn’t. I replaced the light sockets for both turn signals recently. The only thing that doesn’t work are the DRL’s. The dim park lamps work fine, turn signals both work and so do the hazards. Turn signals and hazards both burn bright too. Would this be an issue with the relay in my DRL module, or possibly something else? I’m not extremely familiar with electrical, but I’ve opened up the module before looking for any signs of corrosion that could may form in there. I thank everyone for any new input. I personally like the looks of the DRL’s and wish to have them work.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:58 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I would seriously doubt that corrosion in the DRL module would be a big problem unless you get a lot of rain inside the dash.

There are two relays inside the module (one each for left and right) that switch between passing turn signal flashing power through to the lamps and providing constant power to the lamps for DRL. So it would be an amazing coincidence to have them both fail at the same time in the same way (stuck on the turn signal side). On the other hand, it's not inconceivable that the solid state control in the module is defective although that would be unusual.

Your GAUGES fuse could be blown (power for the DRLs flows from there) but I expect you would have mentioned other symptoms (like no gauges) if that was the case. If I had to guess, I would think that the module thinks your parking brake is engaged. That could mean a short to ground in the wire going to the parking brake switch but it usually means that there has been an attempted bypass to make an aftermarket head unit think the parking brake is on to make certain restricted functions available while in motion.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If all else fails, do the DRL by-pass mod and wire in an aftermarket DRL module. PM me if you'd like a recommendation, I just purchased one for my SLC because I'm fond of how the 4th gen f-body DRL look coming down the road.