Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Peel and Seal Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 07:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Peel and Seal Install

Well, with the wife gone this week I decided to do my sound deadening and CDT component install. It took me a total of about 14 hours from start to finish. I installed the following:

36sq ft of Peal n Seal (bought at Lowes)
CDT CL-61A component set
leftover Jensen 75Wx2 amp (will be replaced when I decide on a front amp)
Additional set of RCA's (already had 1 set for my sub amp)
12 gauge speaker wire

The install was a PITA because the CDT's didn't fit the stock locations so I had to make custom baffles (which meant all new hardware).

But this post is about the peal n seal. I had read a number of reviews where people had installed peel n seal rather than the expensive sound deadening with no adverse effects. In fact, there have been a number of Corvette guys using the stuff instead of Dynamat or B-quiet. I got my peel n seal for less than $1/sq ft at my local lowes (on sale). I really wanted to purchase B-Quiet but the wife wouldn't have it. I had already blown my system budget and that was the last straw for her

I was a bit nervous about using a roofing compound inside my car, but every post I read about the stuff, people said it worked great and was basically exactly the same as any other sound deadener. Well, I say that is BULLSH*T!

I installed 3 layers inside the door, 2 outside, 2 on the wheel wells, and 1 on the rear hump and backseat area. Yeah, it did lower in car noise, but it stinks to high h3ll! Every time I get in my car I have to immediately turn on the AC to move some air! I can barely breath in there. I've had it in for 4 days now with the windows rolled down and it still knocks me over when I get in.

I really don't know how these people can get on here and say that this stuff is the same as other sound deadeners. There is no comparison. If I bought B-Quiet and it stunk this bad, I'd be bitching for a refund of my money. This stuff is terrible. I'm debating whether or not I should try to remove it, although I bet that's nearly impossible.

Anyhow to sum up, peel n seal dampens pretty well, but stinks like no other

I would definitely not recommend it to anyone. If the SO won't let you spend any more money on sound dampening, I'd suggest you save your lunch money and buy the B-quiet without her knowledge. Do not buy Peel n Seal.

Russell
Old 08-19-2004, 11:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks! I was considering doing that this weekend too.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

YOOFORMULA,

I may have to retract my statement. After letting the car sit outside for 5 days with the windows rolled down slightly, the smell has definitely decreased. Perhaps in the next week it will go away.

Until the smell is completely gone though, I still am sticking with my original conclusions. The only reason I used the peel n seal was because I didn't need 50 sq ft (B-quiet minimum order) and I could get 36 sq ft for $40 compared to the $85 for 50sq ft of B-quiet.

I wish I had just waited and scraped some extra change together rather than install the cheap stuff.

I did take some pictures of my install and did a write up if anyone is interested. I put in excel format for ease of authoring. You can download it here:

http://www.anycities.com/user/trplto...omponents.html

Russell
Old 08-21-2004, 04:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the tips! I rewired my entire car when I installed everything last summer but I didnt use any deadening material due to time and money but I plan on it soon.
Old 08-21-2004, 04:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ws6-speed
YOOFORMULA,

I may have to retract my statement. After letting the car sit outside for 5 days with the windows rolled down slightly, the smell has definitely decreased. Perhaps in the next week it will go away.

Until the smell is completely gone though, I still am sticking with my original conclusions. The only reason I used the peel n seal was because I didn't need 50 sq ft (B-quiet minimum order) and I could get 36 sq ft for $40 compared to the $85 for 50sq ft of B-quiet.

I wish I had just waited and scraped some extra change together rather than install the cheap stuff.

I did take some pictures of my install and did a write up if anyone is interested. I put in excel format for ease of authoring. You can download it here:

http://www.anycities.com/user/trplto...omponents.html

Russell
Where were you purchasing your B-Quiet?

I got 100 Sq. FT for $99... very easy to install, but like you said..

This stuff stinks something terrible..
Old 08-23-2004, 08:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Z28Venom,

I was ordering from B-quiet. They had their B-quiet Xtreme for $85 for 50sqft or $140 for 100sqft.

Where did you find it so cheap?

How long did the B-quiet stink? It has been over a week now and the Peel n Seal still smells. It's not a "knock me over" smell anymore, but instead it smells like bad body odor The only good thing is that it seems to be getting less and less every day.

If it ever goes away, I'll be sure to post back with the time frame.

Russell
Old 08-23-2004, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ws6-speed
Z28Venom,

I was ordering from B-quiet. They had their B-quiet Xtreme for $85 for 50sqft or $140 for 100sqft.

Where did you find it so cheap?

How long did the B-quiet stink? It has been over a week now and the Peel n Seal still smells. It's not a "knock me over" smell anymore, but instead it smells like bad body odor The only good thing is that it seems to be getting less and less every day.

If it ever goes away, I'll be sure to post back with the time frame.

Russell
I got mine from an eBay seller with alot of feedback.. 100% very reliable.
3 day shipping to Hawaii.

Also as far as the smell goes, It's been almost two weeks. My car is in the auto skills center. I've left the hatch up for the last week and the smell is pretty much gone..

My new dashtopper smells alot worse...
Old 08-24-2004, 07:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

www.fatmat.com

I put 100 sq ft in my cobra already (trunk, doors, rear seats) with another 100 sq ft on the way for the floor boards.

Cost: $100 for 100 sq ft. Buy a product made for cars, not roofing material.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah,

That fatmat is a heck of a deal. I didn't know about it until you just posted the link. I would definitely go with that instead of the Peal N Seal. Slightly more expensive but if it doesn't stink it's well worth the cost.

Russell

Quick Reply: Peel and Seal Install