Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Define "sub" and "sail panel" speakers for me

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 09:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Define "sub" and "sail panel" speakers for me

I've done a search and couldn't find the answers, so I need some help with some questions. I thought the rear passenger seat speakers are where the stock sub woofers are located, but want to make sure.

1) Are the speakers next to the rear passenger seats referred to as subs or sail panel speakers? It seems they have been referred to as both. Just need clarification.

2) What are replacement options for the rear passenger speakers? I just want a plug and play speaker.

3) Or do I have to get a GM OEM direct replacement? One of the speakers is blown so I need a replacement. Can't stand how it sounds now.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:00 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Sub and sail panel refer to the same speakers. "Sub" refers to the type of speaker (subwoofers) while "sail panel" refers to location - the panel between the hatch glass and the door glass (next to the rear seat) is the sail panel.

The only drop in replacement for these speakers is OEM. However, they can be replaced with aftermarket speakers if done properly. They are 2-ohm subwoofers (4-ohm dual voice coil in parallel on a Firebird for a 2-ohm load) so replacements can be hard to find. There is a lot of good information about replacing stock speakers in the two sticky posts at the top of this forum.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Sub and sail panel refer to the same speakers. "Sub" refers to the type of speaker (subwoofers) while "sail panel" refers to location - the panel between the hatch glass and the door glass (next to the rear seat) is the sail panel.

The only drop in replacement for these speakers is OEM. However, they can be replaced with aftermarket speakers if done properly. They are 2-ohm subwoofers (4-ohm dual voice coil in parallel on a Firebird for a 2-ohm load) so replacements can be hard to find. There is a lot of good information about replacing stock speakers in the two sticky posts at the top of this forum.
Thanks for the information. Looks like OEM for me.