Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Headlights - Help!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 01:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Headlights - Help!!!!!!

O.K. I new this would happen sooner or later, I just hoped later.

When I shut my headlight doors the drivers side motor grinds.

I'm going to order the brass gear replacement.

But there's 2 other problems:

1) When I activate & deactivate my alarm/locks the headlights pop up. This never happened until the grinding started.

2) When I turn on just the parking light, the headlamps open as well. This also never happened until the grinding started.

How do I fix the 2 additional problems?

I did a search and a LT1 owner said the repair fixed the 2 additional problems. Will this fix my problems with my 2000 TA?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-12-2004, 01:39 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Yes, the gear repair will fix the other problems. When you set the alarm the system tries to confirm that the headlights are closed. With a bad gear it can't tell so it opens and closes the headlights to make sure they're closed. I'm not sure exactly why the symptom occurs when using the parking lights but I have heard of it and it always seems to go away when the gear problem is fixed. (Besides, since it's illegal to drive around with only the parking lights on, it shouldn't be much of a problem)
Old 11-12-2004, 02:18 PM
TECH Resident

The exact same thing just happened to me, and I thought I would have to buy the brass gear. BUT WAIT... I did this: http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headl....htm#FreeGuide
when the gear is flipped, the other two "new problems" will disappear.
even though the pics show a early 4th gen LT1, the process is the same. It'll buy you some time at least.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:14 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks
Old 11-29-2004, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

I had the same exact problem with my 97 Firebird and I got on ebay and bought the brass gears and installed them and ever since it has been just fine. While I was waiting on the brass gears to arrive, I simply poped the hood and raised and lowered them manually (actually, just the driver's side, pass. side was fine). You could also use a cordless drill and i think a 1/4 hex bit to make the process of raising and lowering them faster. If you decided to go with the brass gears and have any questions, feel free to ask. Good luck.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

crap man i just had that happen to me last month and it was the driver side just like yours. There is one other guy this past week that had the same problem. Bet you freaked out when the lights winked at you when you set the alarm lollllllllllllll. I did, was like crap now i have to fix the headlight and these other electrical problems that i have no idea whats causing them. Well i came to this board and within seconds i got my answer. i did the 180 mod for now, plan on the good gears later.. have fun, not hard to do at all..