Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

new install

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 07:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default new install

i pulled out the seat behind the drivers seat, secured the box via the bolt that used to hold the seat in place...a 10'' alpine type-r topping out at 1000w, def. sounds better than it did in my trunk, doesnt look half bad either...but now i need a place to put my amp, right now its in the bottom of my trunk, i would like to hide it but i dont know where...2001 trans am convt...
Old 11-16-2004, 09:07 PM
TECH Resident

any pix of this?

J
Old 11-16-2004, 09:09 PM
TECH Regular

http://www.cardomain.com/id/thisbeandrew

page 4
Old 11-16-2004, 09:17 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

O, I see what you did. The reason it "sounds" better is that it is now firing directly against your back so you feel it more (kinda like in a truck).
Old 11-16-2004, 11:40 PM
TECH Regular

ya i def. feel it more now too lol, just wonder how it sounds with the top down, cuz i know when it was in my trunk i could barely tell it was there with the top down...also i dont listen to rap anymore, so theres not as much bass as im used to...i dont know if anyone has any ideas to make it sound better, cuz at points it still seems like it isn't even on(somewhat confuse because i do have it turned all the way at times), although the music i listen to doesnt contain a lot of bass...wondering if maybe i'd be better off selling my sub and getting a nice set of components instead?
Old 11-17-2004, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

by putting a subwoofer in the back seat as opposed to the rear well area (and just throwing a random box in your trunk is NOT what i mean; i'm talking about a box like what you would buy from www.subthump.com), you eliminated the possibility of allowing the hatch area to resonate the sound of the bass. that is the biggest reason our hatchbacks are so nice, because they have the acoustics to make a single 10" (in the hatch area) sound like two 15"s in most other vehicles.

putting a sub anywhere but the trunk area in an f-body is just, sorry to say, ridiculous. even if the sub is on your ear, it's not going to sound nearly as good as it will in the hatch. when i pop my hatch, even without raising it, just that small amount of air that's able to escape knocks the kick that the sub delivers down to about 1/5th of what the sub does when the hatch is closed shut. that should give you an idea of just how much bass you are missing out on by putting it where you have it.

i also don't think you can do much to help the bass when your top is down. but i don't own a vert, so i can't be precise about that assumption.

Last edited by tuffluck; 11-17-2004 at 12:13 AM.