Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

does year of changer matter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default does year of changer matter?

i recently bought a changer thats out of a 98, i think the build date on it is actually in 97 sometime, and hooked it up to my 2002 z, and it doesnt work.
it cycles through the cds and says error on the display in the head unit. anyone know whats wrong with it? i saw a post that says the 98-00 changers were made by delco and the 01-02s were pioneers. is this true, and would it make any difference? or what else may be wrong with it? im not that upset, because i only payed 35 bucks for it, but its annoying because my monsoon head unit wont take in or retract cds. so i have to listen to the absolutely aweful radio stations we have around here.

thanks,
anthony
Old 12-10-2004, 07:18 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

All of the 98-02 F-body 6- and 12-disc changers were manufactured by Pioneer to GM specifications. They are completely interchangeable among the model years.

A couple of things to check first... make sure you try pre-recorded CDs because not all CD-Rs are created equal and the changer won't play CD-RWs at all. Also, the CDs go in "upside down" in the trays - the label side goes on the bottom when loading the trays in the cartridge (opposite to what every other changer does).

Otherwise, it sounds like you may have bought a defective changer.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
All of the 98-02 F-body 6- and 12-disc changers were manufactured by Pioneer to GM specifications. They are completely interchangeable among the model years.

A couple of things to check first... make sure you try pre-recorded CDs because not all CD-Rs are created equal and the changer won't play CD-RWs at all. Also, the CDs go in "upside down" in the trays - the label side goes on the bottom when loading the trays in the cartridge (opposite to what every other changer does).

Otherwise, it sounds like you may have bought a defective changer.
well, i have never had or used a changer in my life, and now i feel stupid. i dont think i loaded them upside down. im gonna go try that!
Old 12-10-2004, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

hahaha. we werent putting the cds in right. it works fine! no more crappy radio listening for me! thank you very much for being here to tell me that.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don't feel bad I made the exact same mistake yesterday when I put my changer in
Old 12-13-2004, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mushroom281
don't feel bad I made the exact same mistake yesterday when I put my changer in
i was a little annoyed that it didnt work. now that i know it does, i only spent 35 bucks on it!