Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Rouge Leader and others

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 05:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rouge Leader and others

I read the post left by Rouge Leader and have run into the same problem. They, installers, say my system will sound like crap if I goto non-factory speakers. I purchased the Polk DB650 speakers for the front and rears for my car. As stated when I went to the installers they said it wouldn't work so I got pissed of course and cussed a little . So instead of arguing anymore I just took the speakers back and got my money. So would these speakers have worked in my Monsoon system?

Night
Old 01-03-2005, 05:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nightcrawler572
I read the post left by Rouge Leader and have run into the same problem. They, installers, say my system will sound like crap if I goto non-factory speakers. I purchased the Polk DB650 speakers for the front and rears for my car. As stated when I went to the installers they said it wouldn't work so I got pissed of course and cussed a little . So instead of arguing anymore I just took the speakers back and got my money. So would these speakers have worked in my Monsoon system?

Night
Ahh the age old question.... dont listen to the stereo shop salesman they want to sell you a system! However the polk DB's would not be the best choice, Polks require a bit more and much cleaner power to sound good, plus in the back to replace the subs they would suck...

So they were half right. Get a speaker like the Alpine or a lower end Pioneer.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:38 PM
Teching In

Thx for the quick reply Rouge. I really don't like Pioneer, for personal reason, but I am interested in which Alpines I could use for the front and rear. I am assuming the speakers you listed are the best for this situation.

Night
Old 01-04-2005, 08:02 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

There is an extensive discussion about using aftermarket speakers with the factory system in the sticky threads at the top of the forum. The big deal (and the reason that stereo shops say don't do it) is that the factory system uses 2-ohm speakers and most aftermarket speakers are 4-ohm. Normally, this would cut the output significantly and sound pretty bad. But the OEM speakers are not very efficient, so the right combination of aftermarket speakers can actually sound pretty good. The threads discuss specific models of speakers that work well.