Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Factory alarm has gone nuts!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 01:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Factory alarm has gone nuts!!

Last night, all of a sudden, my factory alarm starting going off 5 seconds after arming it for no reason at all. It arms fine, I stand there, and it starts honking and flashing. If I hit the panic button, it stops for 5 more seconds, then starts again! I have not messed wtih the shock sensor lately, and I have it adjusted properly. I did that 2 or 3 years ago.

All I can think of is that the shock sensor has gone bad and needs to be replaced. I suppose I can unplug it and see if that works to narrow it down. Otherwise, I am lost!
Old 01-12-2005, 04:50 PM
12 Second Club

Probably a long shot, but I know that alot of "aftermarket" alarms start to act really funny when your battery voltage is low. Not sure about factory stuff.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does that when I drive in the rain alot or if I clean my fender wells out. If it has gotten wet the only thing you can do is unplug the shock sensor until it drys out.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I ended up cracking the sensor open and cleaning mine with acohol. It was FULL of green fungus from the moisture. After that I sealed it with silicone and have never had a problem since.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:45 AM
Launching!

I think moisture is the problem! Last night I went to take ths shock sensor off, but before I did, the problem magically stopped! It's been raining a TON here lately and yesterday was the first dry day in a week, and it worked fine. If it does it again I'll go right to the shock sensor and look for water. Thanks!
Old 01-13-2005, 11:57 AM
Teching In

Welcome to the club, really.

Mine was doing this even when dry so they replaced the shock sensor.
Now it does it rarely when it rains, someone has suggested the BCM might be at fault haven't messed with it yet. But the other day it did it after armed while dry. Also I get the honk once and quit occasionally, I have given up on it, it's gone mad.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I live on Whidbey Island where it rains CONSTANTLY. The fix I mentioned above has worked. Since I did that, it has worked perfectly for over 1 1/2 years.