Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

fog light question

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 08:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default fog light question

Fog light indicator on the switch is not lighting up in either position. The fog lights will not come on when the car is running (98 z28). When the fog light switch is pushed to the right in the on position and the doors are locked the fog lights will flash along with the parking lights. Then with the switch in the off position they will not flash with the parking lights when the doors are locked and closed.
Being that they flash I don't think that this could be related to a fuse or relay.

Any suggestions?

If I have to, I might just put some jammers in their location. I rarely have them on, but it bothers me that it is broken.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:26 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

There are several things that could be causing the problem but each of them would have additional symptoms besides just the fog lights.

First, the fog lights not flashing when you lock/unlock the car with the fog light switch in the off position is normal - they're wired that way. In fact, they weren't really designed to flash with the door locks at all, it's just a side effect of leaving the switch on when the system flashes the parking lights.

The easy/obvious cause of the problem is a burned out TAIL LPS fuse. The door lock flash of the lights bypasses that fuse so they would flash but not go on with the headlights. If this fuse is burned out then your tail lights would not work as well.

Another, less obvious cause would be leaving the dimmer switch in the high beam position. The fog light relay grounds through the high beam circuit so they won't go on if the high beam headlights are also on.