Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Stock 12 Disc, DEAD, How to get a stuck Mag out?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Stock 12 Disc, DEAD, How to get a stuck Mag out?

Well I have a stock 12 disc changer that appears to have failed on me. Will not respond to the head unit. No matter what I do, disconnected and reconnected. Pushed small reset button or what ever it is on the front cover. Will do nothing. .............Any ideas?????

But the worst part is that the Fully Loaded MAG is still in the unit, any way to get it out with out destroying the unit. JUst incase it can be repaired.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I take it the eject button isn't working ... I would measure the voltages coming into the CD changer from the harness. there should be a 12V pos and a ground(probably bigger wires than the rest) measure to make sure you have power ... If you do have power and still not ejecting you'll probably have to take it apart and manually turn the gears to get it to eject once you trip the locking mechanism.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by joe_kool315
I take it the eject button isn't working ... I would measure the voltages coming into the CD changer from the harness. there should be a 12V pos and a ground(probably bigger wires than the rest) measure to make sure you have power ... If you do have power and still not ejecting you'll probably have to take it apart and manually turn the gears to get it to eject once you trip the locking mechanism.
Thanks
Well I know I have power and head unit is not at fault. Swaped in known good unit from other car and all works fine. So Power and ground- harness are all fine. Tryed eject button on the front, if that is waht it is. (small recessed button with in face plate). Unit opened up, looking to see what to cycle or unlock to get mag out.

When door is opened I can hear what sounds like discs cycling back to the mag, as it did when it was in normal operable condition.

Any Idea on what might have failed, or caused malfunction, is this a common problem whith this POS Oem unit.

Unit was in a safe location and bolted down. Only problem I had before was a code for communication error in the past. But it corrected it self, and now after a while, nothing.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anything with moving parts is prone to fail. My guess is the problem is mechanical, not electrical. It may be something simple, or it may be toast.

Sorry, I know that's not much help.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well this one has come to a end. Took the unit apart last night and found a jammed disc holder locking every thing up. Removed disc holder and was able to get everything back together and it works...
Old 11-22-2005, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Gratz. I'm glad it was something simple to fix.