Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsone Tape to CD

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 02:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Monsone Tape to CD

My T/A's Monsoon came with a tape player and a 12-disc changer. Being able to change my cds only when the car is parked is begining to annoy me.
Is it possible to change the tape stereo and replace it with a CD one with still being able to use the changer?
If so where could I get one online?
Old 12-05-2005, 06:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best bet is Ebay. It's my understanding, that only the '01 or '02 CD head units are compatible with the the 12-disc changer.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:07 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Actually, 00-02 CD head units will control a changer. The design change was made in the middle of the 99 model year so avoid 99 (or earlier) head units.

The 01 and 02 models are best because they added the ability to control more than one external source such as the changer plus a satellite radio or mp3 player (with the proper adapter). 00 models could only control a single external device.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Actually, 00-02 CD head units will control a changer. The design change was made in the middle of the 99 model year so avoid 99 (or earlier) head units.

The 01 and 02 models are best because they added the ability to control more than one external source such as the changer plus a satellite radio or mp3 player (with the proper adapter). 00 models could only control a single external device.
Not trying to hijack the thread. But basically your saying that if I go out and buy say a headunit from a 02 T/A or Camaro it will work in my 98 car and be just plug and play
Old 12-05-2005, 09:32 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Yes, it will work fine. There are some differences between the Camaro and Firebird versions of the head units so they are not 100% interchangeable. The Camaro radios are black with black buttons and blue/white illumination. Firebird radios are dark gray with gray buttons and red illumination. Firebird radios have a graphic equalizer where Camaros have normal tone controls.

None of those diffferences will affect installation but there are two features that are different between the models. Camaros have speed-sensitive volume that isn't available in Firebirds (there's no speed signal wire in the Firebird harness). Firebirds are designed for power antennas but there is no power antenna wire in the Camaro harness. These are really minor things and they don't prevent using a radio from one model in the other.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If I were to buy a head unit from a dealer or the gm online store, would it be the same one the 00-02's had? What would be the Part #?
After having some bad a expirience with Ebay, I'm not really fond of it. I would only use it as a last resort.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Yes, it will work fine. There are some differences between the Camaro and Firebird versions of the head units so they are not 100% interchangeable. The Camaro radios are black with black buttons and blue/white illumination. Firebird radios are dark gray with gray buttons and red illumination. Firebird radios have a graphic equalizer where Camaros have normal tone controls.

None of those diffferences will affect installation but there are two features that are different between the models. Camaros have speed-sensitive volume that isn't available in Firebirds (there's no speed signal wire in the Firebird harness). Firebirds are designed for power antennas but there is no power antenna wire in the Camaro harness. These are really minor things and they don't prevent using a radio from one model in the other.
Cool I might have to go junkyard hunting
Old 12-06-2005, 07:42 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Cumbias
If I were to buy a head unit from a dealer or the gm online store, would it be the same one the 00-02's had? What would be the Part #?
After having some bad a expirience with Ebay, I'm not really fond of it. I would only use it as a last resort.
The part number for the 01-02 CD head unit is listed as "N.S." (non-stocking) and is not available. The parts manual says that remanufactured units are available through AC Delco service centers.

Your best bet might be to look for one in the for sale section of this board. Lots of people sell their factory head unit when they upgrade to aftermarket systems. That way you'd know what model year it came from.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

cool!