Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

iPod as a stand alone

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 01:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod as a stand alone

this is a non fbody question, but for my daily driver that just got its aftermarket cd player stolen from it.

question is could i use a rca cable from a ipod to go directly to a 4 channel amp to power the speakers. the remote wire for the amp would be wired into the 12 volt power connection on the stock harness. this means the entire system (volume control, etc...) would be ran by a iPod has anyone done this?
Old 01-11-2006, 05:29 AM
Ls1tech Bad Ass

i've never seen it done, but if done correctly i dont see why it wouldnt work. you'd need a correct remote wire run to an accessory under in the ignition harness or from the previous radio harness.... BUT-- all you need to go to an amp is some kind of rca signal, which could be from a head unit or anything else, i suppose... although i'm seriously doubt an ipod or stand alone mp3 player would supply the correct signal voltage to sound good with an amplifier. hmm... maybe someone else has another opinion??

Last edited by SSTAR; 01-11-2006 at 05:40 AM.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:08 PM
Staging Lane

well i dont think it would be any different that the input jacks on the back of your headunit.

the signal voltage on a rca is less than 1 volt in some systems. you really dont need much since the amp ups that signal.

oh well ill be the first to try as soon as my ipod comes in the mail.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BlackLine
well i dont think it would be any different that the input jacks on the back of your headunit.

the signal voltage on a rca is less than 1 volt in some systems. you really dont need much since the amp ups that signal.

oh well ill be the first to try as soon as my ipod comes in the mail.
Have you tried this yet. Im curious to see how it all worked out.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:12 AM
TECH Resident

When I was in the process of installing my car pc, I used my wife's Ipod for temporary tunes. All I had to do was connect my remote wire to a switched 12v wire in the radio harness, and connect the Ipod to the RCA cables using a 1/8" stereo jack to RCA cable (about 3ft long) from radioshack. It worked fine.