Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Problem with fuses on triple sub setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Problem with fuses on triple sub setup

Hey everyone, im having some issues with my current setup. I am running 3 mtx thunder 8000 10 inch subs with an mtx 225ho amp. Recent the 12-volt wire fell off the amp when i was moving the sub box, and me not thinking went to reconnect it without disconnecting the battery and the wire sparked and made a sort of buring smell. I figured I just blew the fuse thats under the hood that goes to the battery. I was using 40 amp fuses and they ran fine, however when i disconnect the negative and positive termials, put the new fuses in the fuse housing, and reconnect the positive side as soon as I toucht he negative side to the battery terminal the fuse blows again right away. I have gone through 3 40 amp fuses with the same result, as soon as the negative side touches the battery the fuse blows. What else could I have done that would cause this to happen (also I checed all the wires again on the amp and they are where they should be and arent touching any other wires or anything that would cause the fuse to blow). Did I blow the amp fuses and thats why it just blows the fuse in the rockford fosgate fuse housing under the hood? Any help would be appreciated as blowing fuses is getting expensive haha. Thanks in advance for any ideas/suggestions!
Old 01-26-2006, 02:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like you have a short either in the wiring or in the amp...

Good luck
Old 01-26-2006, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

you probably fried the internal wiring or board of the amp.......

start searching for a new one
Old 01-26-2006, 03:18 PM
TECH Addict

damn thats what i was afraid of, any way to check if thats def the problem?
Old 01-26-2006, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

open it up, and see/smell if there is anything burnt.....

you could always bench test it if you have the equipment
Old 01-26-2006, 08:22 PM
TECH Addict

ea my buddy is real good with stereos as he went to a local audio/video automotive school (I think its called RYTOP?) so he should have an idea of whats goin on, I just havent talked to him in a while so ill def have to give him a call. Im going to pull the amp fuses though, see if they are fried. I was looking to upgrade the amp anyways as I got it new like 7 years ago and it has served me very well with no problems, its just that I didnt think merely touching the 12-volt wire to the amp terminal would cause it to fry like that, I thought thats what the fuses were for? Oh well thanks for the help guys ill have to check it out this weekend and find out if its gone or not.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Were you using inline fuses or the fuses at the amp.
On your next amp you may want to consider inline fuses in addition to the fuses in the amp. It may be over kill but I have never blown an amp from +12 short circuit.

To make sure its the amp. Try to hook it up to a 12volt source without using the wiring from the car. You can do this with a power supply or use your battery from your car (just use a different wire).