Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Drivers side channel is quiet

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 12:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers side channel is quiet

I have a stock 2000 Z. I have the balance **** turned almost 3/4 of the way to the drivers side to balance the volume out. Has any one had this problem?
I have checked each speaker by moving the fad and bal **** and they all work but the drivers side is just alot quieter.

I realy don't want to replace any thing, what can I check to see what is wrong?

Thanks
Old 01-31-2006, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry to break it to you, but sounds like you need to replace the head unit.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:37 PM
Teching In

What causes this?
could it be the amp?
Can I use a TA head unit to replace it and are there ones with out gray buttons?
Old 01-31-2006, 05:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Honestly, it could be the head unit or the amp....

I have a monsoon amp that I just removed from my TA if you need. As for the radio from what I understand the wiring harness is the same; however if you have a CD changer that brings in a whole other variable.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I doubt it's the amplifier as the tweeter in the door on the driver side would be just as loud as the one in the passenger door. If Nyzze is losing volume on the entire left channel (both front and rear) it almost has to be the head unit.

I believe the T/A head unit will work in a Camaro. OF course you'll not have the speed compensated volume feature. I think there is one minor wiring change required to use it. I can't remember what it is.

Here's a replacement:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-...spagenameZWDVW
Old 02-01-2006, 06:17 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys.
I tryed to listen to it again and it seems that the back tweeters are even and the subs but the front is off. When I bought the car it came with some sony xplode 3ways in the front and they sound like Ashley Simpson Live, Terrible.
I think one of them mabey going south. I think the sound imaging in this car is not so good and with the bad front speaker it makes it sound like all of it is comming from the right. When I checked it before I did it from the drivers seat and all of the left speakers sounded quiet this time I stuck my head right in the middle of each set of speakers to see if they were even.
I think I need to replace the fronts with somthing that I can position the tweeter toward me instead of my foot.
Has any one put tweeter up next to the mirrors in a camaro? I bet that would help.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The tweeters on the Alpine SPS-170A's installed in my doors have swivel mount so you can angle them in a more pleasing direction. The sound quality is likely better than the Sony's also. And they are fairly easy to bi-wire as in the stock Camaro Monsoon configuration (tweeters of the head unit, woofers off the amplifier).