Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Car and me NOT getting along

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 04:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car and me NOT getting along

I have a 94 Camaro with the 5 speaker Bose sound system. I have been trying to figure out the wireing schematic for it. All of the one I see have a black, white and/or grey connector. Mine has a 10 wire Black connector and a 4 wire blue connector. The color of the wiring is totally different then all of the ones in the scematics I have found on here. Plus I come to find out that the car is missing the rear speakers and there is not one set of wires running back to them. I was wondering if anyone has a wiring schematic or knows the colors codes for the bose system?
Old 02-10-2006, 08:03 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

First, your car is probably not missing the rear (sail panel) speakers. Many of the Bose systems only came with speakers in the doors and a subwoofer in the hatch area.

The Bose system is completely different from the Monsoon system (or any other standard radio). It has a special head unit with high-impedance, low-level output to speakers that each have individual amps built in. The speaker/amp assemblies are individually "tuned" for their location in the car.

What are you trying to do with the system? About the only thing you can do to a Bose system without a major overhaul is add an amp. Replacing the head unit without changing the speakers requires a special adapter.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:04 PM
Teching In

Well the bose CD player I have is broke. I replaced it with an aftermarket head unit and everything worked fine except the CD player didnt put out any sound. The CD went in and played but no song came out. I am trying to also put some speakers into the sail panel.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You have to buy this special adapter from the net is usually the cheapest, But you can find it at most Electronics and Stereo stores.

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piehrcgm21.html

I had the same problem with my car, my head unit worked, but had no sound. I'm going to be purchasing one of these little adapters sometime soon, considering I haven't had a CD-Player in my car since I've owned it, last May.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:26 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Yep, the adapter Renegade mentions is what you need to get the head unit working.

Now, adding sail panel speakers is a different issue. The easiest way would be if your HU has pre-amp output that you can run through an external amp. Or, you could just tap into the speaker-level output before the Bose adapter but that might not give you much volume. Besides, why put in sail panel speakers at all? You already have a front soundstage and a subwoofer - the rear fill wouldn't really improve the sound much.