Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Suitable replacement speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 07:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suitable replacement speakers?

I have a 98 T/A and am keeping the stock monsoon H/U and amp. Will these speakers work fine with this setup?

Front Doors----Infinity 62.71
Sail Panels-----Audiobahn AMD 60Q (Would the Infinity 62.7i work here also?)

AND, would there be any wiring issues, or will this be a rather straight forward install. Thanks guys!
Old 02-15-2006, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

For the doors, if you are keeping the stock tweeters, then the Infinity's will be an easy drop-in replacement for the door woofers. But seeing as it's the woofers that blow on the stock speakers, that's probably not a bad set-up.

For the sail panels, remember that the stockers in your T/A are dual voice coil wired seperately to the amplifier. So there are 4 wires to each speaker. Other Firebird owners have noted that it sounds crappy if you try and bridge the 2 pairs together. It is recommended that you use only one pair of speaker wires to your 60Q's. You can experiment to see if one pair gives better sound than the other.

Would the Infinity's work in the sail panel? People assume that since the stockers are DVC the 2 coils MUST be wired in parallel (giving an effective impedance of 2 ohm). IF this is so, why did GM bother to wire each coil to the amplifier seperately? And if the 2 pairs are tied to the same output channel, why have people reported on here that they get terrrible sound when trying to bridge the 2 pairs? Likely, there is something uncommon about the construction of the stock speakers. Because the last thing you'd want to do is wire seperate channels to the 2 coils in a normal DVC speaker. If there is any phase difference it would cause the speaker to distort as the 2 coils work in opposition to each other. Since the voice coils are 4 ohm, and seem to be wired to independant output channels, I would probably not drop a 2 ohm speaker back there wire to a single output pair. For all I know the 62.7i's might work fine back there. But if the amp can't handle the extra current on a single channel, you could shorten it's life. Especially if you like to crank the volume up loud.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

I think for the sail panels, from the information ypu provided, I will stay away from the infinity's. The 60Q's are a pricy, but I will go with them if need be, but would there be a suitable replacement for them perhaps in the price range of the Infinity's? Appreciate the information you provided too.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by boeing727
I think for the sail panels, from the information ypu provided, I will stay away from the infinity's. The 60Q's are a pricy, but I will go with them if need be, but would there be a suitable replacement for them perhaps in the price range of the Infinity's? Appreciate the information you provided too.
AMD60Q's are available from $79 a pair from CarMedia (www.carmedia1.com).

That's equal to the cheapest price I've seen for the 62.7's.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

BTW: I spent $200 on my Pioneer TS-M7PRS midbasses for the sail panel in my SS.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:35 PM
On The Tree

You're right.....carmedia has a great price on the AMD60Q's. Appreciate your information. One final question for ya.... Should I decide to replace the tweeters in the doors, what would work well with the Infinity 62.7i's that I will be putting in there?

Thanks
Old 02-15-2006, 05:41 PM
12 Second Club

You could run the wire from your stock tweeter to the tweeter on the 62.7i since the 62.7i has seperate inputs. The 62.7i has a tweeter that rotates for better imaging so should sound good. Infinity also makes components...basically the same as the 62.7i, but with a mountable tweeter, but price is about $50 more.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

Appreciate the input from you guys....Thanks.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd also suggest upgrading the rear hatch. I used Alpine SPS-100A's in place of the stock 4" speakers. The Camaro set-up doesn't have tweeters back there like the F'birds so it's missing that depth in the higher frequencies. If you get a 2-way 4", you'll not need those tweeters.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

Good point. I was contemplating on upgrading the hatch speakers with the ones you just mentioned. I will now for sure...can't beat their price.