Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

I cant believe how easy it is to break into an f-body

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, you can’t stop a thief if he wants your car he will get it, that’s with you in it or not. However you can make it very difficult for them, aftermarket anti-thief devices such as Viper and all the others, kill switches, pressure plates, circuit loops, steering wheel locks satellite tracking are the things you need to invest in, if you want to keep your car.

The more you put on the better your chances, don’t just go with one, like someone already said nothing is full proof! There are so many ways to keep your car, some are free and only coast you time, that’s it.

I’m sure your not going to like it if some steals your car and then post pictures of it in there sig.

“It takes a thief”

Last edited by 427-WS6-87-02; 06-12-2006 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:01 AM
Lame Excuse for a Photog

I disagree with the above statement.

One of my buddies had 5 cars ripped off in the DFW area. Including a skyline, single'd Supra, C5 Z06, 2JZ IS300 and a 9 sec Notch. On his 6th car (a pretty quick EVO MR) he now has: Hidden Switch for Fuel Pump, hidden switch for ignition, hidden switch for power to ECU, a car boot (the kind they put on your wheel in cities when you get a ticket), a steering wheel lock thing and Lojack. Suprise, suprise a couple of people have broken in to his car anyway. Stolen some sunglasses and stuff but his car hasnt moved.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NoTicketsPlease
How is vats bypassed by a thief? Im wondering if I should install a kill switch.
it isnt.

you would have to either put a diffrent ECM/PCM in, then ground the starter relay.... along with the usual cracking of the column to start it...

or

tap into the harness somewhere, cut the correct wire, and feed in a fake VATS signal.... then ground the starter relay... then steal as a normal GM with the column crack.

or

try key resistance #1, wait 4mins. try key resistance #2, wait 4mins. ect... until you hit the correct one... (15 total)
then steal as normal, with the dummy key in.

all in all... its much easier to just use a towtruck.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:19 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JOSE REBS
there is no way to stop a theif if they really want your car....no way!!!
Car bomb.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by canadaisintexas
I disagree with the above statement.

One of my buddies had 5 cars ripped off in the DFW area. Including a skyline, single'd Supra, C5 Z06, 2JZ IS300 and a 9 sec Notch. On his 6th car (a pretty quick EVO MR) he now has: Hidden Switch for Fuel Pump, hidden switch for ignition, hidden switch for power to ECU, a car boot (the kind they put on your wheel in cities when you get a ticket), a steering wheel lock thing and Lojack. Suprise, suprise a couple of people have broken in to his car anyway. Stolen some sunglasses and stuff but his car hasnt moved.

Had to edit my post got kicked off.

NEVER keep thing in site for others, that just gives them a reason to break into your ride!!!!!!!
Old 06-12-2006, 10:52 AM
TECH Junkie

also, keep your VIN covered! i have heard a number of stories around the BR/NO area of cars being stolen in a matter of seconds cause teh criminal has the keys. one thing i have begun to do to my car is edit the computer if im goin leavin it for awhile. speed limiter to 1 and hysterics to 0 and the car is immobilized even if they get it started
Old 06-12-2006, 11:06 AM
12 Second Club

no alarm or fuel, ignition, computer cut off switch is going to stop a flatbelt with a winch...
Old 06-12-2006, 11:30 AM
TECH Regular

phoenix indeed this has happened twice to me i lost all my keys 2 weeks after i had car, i called dealer read vin went and got keys, same thing happened to my cousins, called dealer read vin got keys!!! now i hava a Yo MaMa sticker covering my vin
Old 06-12-2006, 02:22 PM
Lame Excuse for a Photog

Originally Posted by JOSE REBS
no alarm or fuel, ignition, computer cut off switch is going to stop a flatbelt with a winch...
True but a wheel boot will You can pick up used ones from city auctions for $100 sometimes.

My buddy put some felt on it to make sure it didnt damage his wheels. It was a pain in the *** but worth it to keep $65,000 worth of Evo from leaving his driveway.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by canadaisintexas
True but a wheel boot will You can pick up used ones from city auctions for $100 sometimes.

My buddy put some felt on it to make sure it didnt damage his wheels. It was a pain in the *** but worth it to keep $65,000 worth of Evo from leaving his driveway.
I once asked a tow truck guy about them and they said that when they repo, they used dish soap as lubricant under the tire which cant roll and still winch the car up on the flat bed. BUt that's for someone that seriously wants the car. As said before nothing will stop someone that wants it bad enough (with or without you in it). All we can do is make it tough enough to delay them to where they want to move on to an easier car to steal.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
I once asked a tow truck guy about them and they said that when they repo, they used dish soap as lubricant under the tire which cant roll and still winch the car up on the flat bed. BUt that's for someone that seriously wants the car. As said before nothing will stop someone that wants it bad enough (with or without you in it). All we can do is make it tough enough to delay them to where they want to move on to an easier car to steal.

yup.

same with the car being stuck in park or whatever... you can always slide it on the flatbed.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by blackrat
Oh yeah. My friends have had 4 or 5 of them ripped off between 3 of them. It's ridiculous. You could pop it in one swoop with a slim jim.

You can pop the hood from out side the car, and there are a few other little tricks to those cars.

I could sqeeze my arm in throw the ttop weather striping and unlock a door some times when my keys would get locked it. It hurt like hell but I got in.....
Old 06-12-2006, 08:24 PM
TECH Junkie

If they want your car, they will get it dump all the money you want into a security they will still get it.

Best cheap this, is the cut off switchs im sure you can find them but it makes you kinda un easyer about poking around for a good period of time, or just get a tow truck and repo ur ****.

Repo guys can hook up you up with anytihng you want, rember once its in the yard they are not responable for anyone breaking in and stealing thats there loop holes....
Old 06-12-2006, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Damn hard to drive away with my AUTOLOCK clamped tight on my clutch pedal, then having to cut the wheel because of the steering wheel lock, Vats, alarm, hood locks, and disabled ignition plus our security guards around. No flatdeck is getting past security either.... MrDude_1 is right...Vats isn't easy to get by.

Last edited by NHRAMAN; 06-12-2006 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:05 AM
On The Tree

Ravelco: http://www.nohotwire.com/

Last edited by ACW; 06-13-2006 at 03:27 AM. Reason: fix link
Old 06-13-2006, 02:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a sticker that says quite plainly:
"The only thing in this car worth stealing is the security system."

The splash guard decal says:
"If you can read this you are under my car."
Old 06-13-2006, 02:16 AM
Teching In

industrial chain with huge pad lock, wrapped around the axle, and secured into the concrete in the garage.

If you can remove the axle and/or cut the chain without me hearing anything, you can have the damn car.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ScrewDrvr
industrial chain with huge pad lock, wrapped around the axle, and secured into the concrete in the garage.

If you can remove the axle and/or cut the chain without me hearing anything, you can have the damn car.
Promise?

Deal is rocksalt instead of buckshot though and then I'll owe yah a dime. Otherwise you have to aim at the *** and NOT in the face .
Old 06-13-2006, 08:00 AM
Banned

I've gotten to the point that I can break into my car in less than 30 seconds and have the keys back in my hand with everything locked up in under a minute. That's why I always have my spare lock key in my pocket and keep everything locked!
Old 06-13-2006, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

i know if a theif wants the car bad enough they will get it...but ive noticed if i arm the factory alarm the hatch button insde, and the unlock button does absolutley nothing, but you could prolly bend the window far enough back, and unlatch the t-tops (thats why i keep mine locked, ive heard of people havind them stolen w/ nothing else touched)

Quick Reply: I cant believe how easy it is to break into an f-body