Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need Advice!?!?! (New Speakers)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 01:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrow Need Advice!?!?! (New Speakers)

So here's the deal....I just bought a Pioneer AVIC-N2. I am thinking about what to do with my stock speakers....

I was thinking about how to go about replacing them....or keeping them...

Should I just replace the sail panel speakers? Or replace both the sail panel and the door speakers. Do you think I should get new door speakers and sail panel speakers and forget about even using the hatch speakers? What do you think?

I already have 2 12" subs in the back, and am looking for the LOUDEST, CLEAREST highs available.

I was looking at either Alpine, Infinity, or MB Quartz.....

If you have any personal experience please chime in!!!!

Plus, I am not looking to fab anything, I am looking for a direct "bolt-in" solution. I can do the wiring myself....

Thanks in advance guys!!

-James

Oh, here is the pic of the Pioneer

Last edited by firebirdman469; 02-17-2007 at 01:43 AM.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forget both the sail and hatch speakers.

I think you might prefer a component set with a metal tweeter as a starting point.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:09 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Forget both the sail and hatch speakers.

I think you might prefer a component set with a metal tweeter as a starting point.
So you're saying just go with door speakers??? That seems a bit less than optimal.....anyone else?
Old 02-17-2007, 02:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by firebirdman469
So you're saying just go with door speakers??? That seems a bit less than optimal.....anyone else?
Go with m class from memphis..they have a removable tweeter in the center of the speaker and a xover....they are about 200 bucks and on an amp they CAN NOT be beat.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Door and subs. Sail are subs, but they suck, and hatch are too far back to be useful.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:09 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Door and subs. Sail are subs, but they suck, and hatch are too far back to be useful.
I will not be using the sail panel for subs, I am replacing the head unit and running all new wires to make them my highs....or my mids...

Last edited by firebirdman469; 02-18-2007 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:24 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by firebirdman469
I will not be using the sail panel for subs, I am replacing the head unit and running all new wires to make them my highs....
You don't mean that you're putting new speakers in the sail panels to make them your highs do you? That's not a good idea even for those who like the "surround sound" feeling. Audiophiles will tell you that the sound stage should be up front and that you shouldn't put anything but subs behind you (because bass frequencies aren't directional). The rest of us prefer sound from all around but even then it should be rear "fill" - not primary highs.

Since you already have subs in the back, you should concentrate on upgrading the door speakers for midrange and high frequencies. If you want rear fill then perhaps a pair of "warm" sounding coaxials (such as Alpine or Pioneer, certainly not Infinity) or even just component woofers or mid-bass speakers in the sail panels will give you fill without creating distracting highs from behind.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
You don't mean that you're putting new speakers in the sail panels to make them your highs do you? That's not a good idea even for those who like the "surround sound" feeling. Audiophiles will tell you that the sound stage should be up front and that you shouldn't put anything but subs behind you (because bass frequencies aren't directional). The rest of us prefer sound from all around but even then it should be rear "fill" - not primary highs.

Since you already have subs in the back, you should concentrate on upgrading the door speakers for midrange and high frequencies. If you want rear fill then perhaps a pair of "warm" sounding coaxials (such as Alpine or Pioneer, certainly not Infinity) or even just component woofers or mid-bass speakers in the sail panels will give you fill without creating distracting highs from behind.
Yeah "fill" is more like it...I am just mainly concerned about loudness and clarity because i constantly go 75-80 with the t-tops off, and my loudmouth as well. That is why I am wanting to know what kind of speakers would be the best upgrade, after replacing the head unit. Plus, I would like to know which replacements will fit the best.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:52 AM
TECH Regular

Any more suggestions?