Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

wiring for speakers and tweeters

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 01:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring for speakers and tweeters

i have a new kenwood head unit and 6 infiniti 4 ohm speakers for my 99 camaro. currently they are hooked up with the monsoon system but my amp is shorted so i want to eliminate it and run new wiring to each speaker from the head unit. correct me if im wrong but its just pos and neg to each speaker from hu. im not sure about the tweeters i was going to use the factory ones if possible but how would i wire these? also since i have the 4" for the rear should i jus hook them up to the wires i will use for the sail panel speakers?
Old 09-07-2007, 06:59 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

You can't use the factory tweeters in a Camaro without using the entire door speaker. The door components in a Camaro are mounted coaxially so there is no separate tweeter to mount.

Assuming you bought all full-range speakers (rather than a mix of subs and components), you'll have to check if your head unit is 2-ohm stable. If you wire your hatch speakers in parallel with the sail panels you end up with a 2-ohm load on those channels. If you wire them in series you end up with an 8-ohm load which will work without damaging the HU but will cut the output significantly. Actually, if you have all full-range speakers, I wouldn't even bother with the hatch speakers. They won't contribute much to the overall sound.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm planning on eliminating the monsoon amp myself as well. What I'm planning on is just unplugging the harness from the amp and then jumpering the wires there so that I don't have to run new wires. Just gotta figure out which outputs I need to jumper to the inputs. BTW I'm not using any stock speakers, all going to be 4 ohm ones and my replacement HU will drive them directly for now. I do have some 6.5" subs to replace the sail panel subs and a small amp I'm going to drive them with so I will have to run some new wire for those but that's it.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:37 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The amplifier pinout is in the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the forum.

If you already have subs for the sail panel why would you need to bypass the Monsoon amp? Just install your new head unit and speakers and leave them running off the Monsoon amp - no rewiring and more power. The amp takes care of the low pass filtering for the subs and provides you with eight amplified channels.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The amplifier pinout is in the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the forum.

If you already have subs for the sail panel why would you need to bypass the Monsoon amp? Just install your new head unit and speakers and leave them running off the Monsoon amp - no rewiring and more power. The amp takes care of the low pass filtering for the subs and provides you with eight amplified channels.
Because all my replacement speakers are 4ohm not 2ohm, and they are coax 2 way not separate tweeter and woofer wiring like the monsoon system has. My HU has enough output for the main speakers and a low-pass sub output line to go to the amp for the subs.

If the stock monsoon amp didn't have the tweeter and woofer lines separate then I would probably use it.