Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sealed or Ported Kicker Solabaric Enclosure

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 01:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sealed or Ported Kicker Solabaric Enclosure

I have a single 12 L7 Kicker Solabaric 2-ohm with a rockford fosgate power punch 800 old school set-up. I don't know if to go ported or sealed in my camaro. any sug. please. Below or my 2 options unless you have others.

http://cgi.ebay.com/KICKER-L5-L7-12-...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/KICKER-12-SUBWOO...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by lildut; 09-22-2007 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Depends how loud you want it and if you have the space for the box.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:45 PM
Teching In

well i dont have nothing back there so you know the space i have. i love quality, i am a big fan of the deep bass. So help me out here
Old 09-22-2007, 03:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ported and out of those 3 boxes the first one
Old 09-22-2007, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

pre-fab boxes are 99% of the time a bit piece of ****.
Box in first link doesn't give box size or tuning frequency, unless they've hidden it and I can't find it.
Box in 3rd link gives size, but doesn't give tuning frequency.

Those are the two most important factors in a ported box. You have to build a box specific for the sub you're going to use, especially when going ported.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by italicizedsponge
ported and out of those 3 boxes the first one
I had to delete the box you chose because it was built for the L5 not the L7. so give me your second choice between the other two unless you can refer me to another type of box. Thanks
Old 09-22-2007, 04:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 95bat
pre-fab boxes are 99% of the time a bit piece of ****.
Box in first link doesn't give box size or tuning frequency, unless they've hidden it and I can't find it.
Box in 3rd link gives size, but doesn't give tuning frequency.

Those are the two most important factors in a ported box. You have to build a box specific for the sub you're going to use, especially when going ported.
Well i have the L7 solabaric and i like deep bass so can you recommend a nice box that isnt a piece of crap lol.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lildut
Well i have the L7 solabaric and i like deep bass so can you recommend a nice box that isnt a piece of crap lol.
Are you able to build one yourself?
I'd make/find a box that is 2.5 cubes ported at around 35 hz.

If you can find somebody who makes a box like that and you want to try it out... go for it. Buying a pre-fab ported box is a huge gamble though.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95bat
Are you able to build one yourself?
I'd make/find a box that is 2.5 cubes ported at around 35 hz.

If you can find somebody who makes a box like that and you want to try it out... go for it. Buying a pre-fab ported box is a huge gamble though.
yea i was gonna say dont get any of those if you can make your own box or get a box thats already made for your exact subwoofer
Old 09-23-2007, 02:42 PM
Teching In

i dont know anyone that makes it. but i am willing to pay you if you want to take on the project lol.
Is there any reason why you don't like the vented box? and i still dont know if you guys like ported or sealed
Old 09-23-2007, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

With ported boxes the size and frequency need to be done right or it will sound like ***. Usually pre-fab boxes are thrown together quickly and have some random port in them. The two you linked don't list a tuning frequency, which tells me they probably did just put in a port and not take the time to figure out what the frequency would be.

If you don't want to extra output of a ported box you can go sealed... you have a much better chance of buying a better pre-fab sealed box than a ported box. You just have to make sure its 3/4" MDF and that it will fit in your car, where ever you are going to put it.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you want maximum power handling and the deepest bass, the best way to go is with a sealed box with the appropriate airspace.

however, with a properly tuned ported box, you can get more volume out of it.

either way, you should try to find a box that's specifically built for the sub you are wanting to run. with a sealed box, you have a bit more leeway with the airspace, but you still want to get it as close as possible to the amount of airspace that the sub calls for.

absolutely positively stay away from pre-fabbed ported boxes, unless they have been designed specifically for the sub you're running.