Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Those with Amps in the rear of the car, got a quick question

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those with Amps in the rear of the car, got a quick question

Where did ya'll run the power wire to get to the battery? I can't find anywhere in my firewall to run it and I really don't want to cut a hole unless absolutely necessary. Plus it's hard to see anything with the firewall under the dash. Any help would be great, thanks!

2001 Z-28 camaro BTW.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same hole the computer wiring goes through; it's UNDER the computer. 2 bolts remove the computer, interior parts under the dash with a 7mm and screwdriver.

Then under the pass side trim; all you HAVE to pull is the trim along the side of the seat.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:27 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember to run your RCA's opposite side of the power wire or you could end up with engine noise in your signal.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

i ran the power wire from the PCM as well, although i found it easier to pop out the grommet from the inside of the car(underneath passenger knee bolster and to the right on the firewall) and run the wire through this grommet from the inside and have someone on the outside of the car grab it. makes it easier because you dont have to remove or set aside the PCM

Last edited by *98TransAm*; 10-15-2007 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Remember to run your RCA's opposite side of the power wire or you could end up with engine noise in your signal.
i did not know that. any other wiring facts that you could put out there for me. i'm about to wire in a totally new system..
Old 10-15-2007, 01:14 PM
Launching!

The whole power wires next to rca wires is a myth. There may be a noticeable noise, but more than likely its a ground loop problem.

Every install i have ever done does not abide by that, and none of them have noise. Most of the noise problems in installs I've done with noise or whine is either ground loop or shitty Pioneer subouts having problems.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by *98TransAm*
i ran the power wire from the PCM as well, although i found it easier to pop out the grommet from the inside of the car(underneath passenger knee bolster and to the right on the firewall) and run the wire through this grommet from the inside and have someone on the outside of the car grab it. makes it easier because you dont have to remove or set aside the PCM
So this grommet is located on the firewall under the PCM? Is it best to look for it from the inside? Thanks
Old 10-15-2007, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

I have also not had noise by running them together, though I didn't run them together in this system. I had the carpet out when I ran the wires anyway, so...

I unbolted the PCM and it was easy to get to.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

i find it easiest to unbolt pcm 2 bolts lift it out and bam run your wire through the grommet
Old 10-15-2007, 05:39 PM
Banned

mines running in by the steering linkage. dont know if it was supposed to be there or the guy who owned the car before me put it there but thats were i ran mine
Old 10-15-2007, 08:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 98-LS1
So this grommet is located on the firewall under the PCM? Is it best to look for it from the inside? Thanks
if your lazy and dont feel like taking off the PCM then yes,wrap a coat hanger wire around your power wire take a flat head screw driver pry the grommet from the inside of the car jam the coat hanger through look under the hood underneath the PCM you'll see the coat hanger then you just pull. i had an extra person so i didnt need to use a coat hanger i just put the wire through the grommet and had them pull the wire from underneath the pcm

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
i find it easiest to unbolt pcm 2 bolts lift it out and bam run your wire through the grommet
another way of doing it, i just felt so paranoid about removing the PCM, i dont know why i just kept thinking i would loosen up a wire or something
Old 10-16-2007, 07:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by *98TransAm*
if your lazy and dont feel like taking off the PCM then yes,wrap a coat hanger wire around your power wire take a flat head screw driver pry the grommet from the inside of the car jam the coat hanger through look under the hood underneath the PCM you'll see the coat hanger then you just pull. i had an extra person so i didnt need to use a coat hanger i just put the wire through the grommet and had them pull the wire from underneath the pcm

another way of doing it, i just felt so paranoid about removing the PCM, i dont know why i just kept thinking i would loosen up a wire or something

I ain't lazy, just don't like moving the PCM unless it's my only option. I'll take it out and run the wires under it though, doesn't sound too bad. Thanks
Old 10-16-2007, 07:11 AM
TECH Addict

You don't gotta take the wires off, just unbolt it from the chassis and move it outta the way.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:31 AM
Banned

Wow, I never knew this was a myth. Everytime I did an install I seperated the power from the RCA's at least 8in. from each other to avoid potential issues with this. Every installation guide I've ever read says the same thing. Here's a few I googled just now:
Crutchfield's guide #5: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-BmAXGwu...ps.html?page=2
Car Audio help guide #11:http://www.caraudiohelp.com/how_to_i..._a_car_amp.htm
Electronic warehouses guide #6 paragraph 3: http://www.electronixwarehouse.com/e...installamp.htm
Subwoofer tools under Signal: http://www.subwoofertools.com/defaul...&CategoryID=12
I'm not saying that you get noise 100% of the time but as a precaution you should at seperate them at least 8-10" from the power wire. I just found it easier to run my RCA's on the drivers side and run my power on the passenger side. But please feel free to not do this as it is a myth and apparently doesn't happen.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I always keep power and rca seperate when i can
Old 10-16-2007, 11:49 AM
TECH Addict

I'm not sure I'd say it's a myth. The theory is there, but in real life, it has never been an issue in my experience. YMMV
Old 10-25-2007, 10:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
Wow, I never knew this was a myth. Everytime I did an install I seperated the power from the RCA's at least 8in. from each other to avoid potential issues with this. Every installation guide I've ever read says the same thing. Here's a few I googled just now:
Crutchfield's guide #5: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-BmAXGwu...ps.html?page=2
Car Audio help guide #11:http://www.caraudiohelp.com/how_to_i..._a_car_amp.htm
Electronic warehouses guide #6 paragraph 3: http://www.electronixwarehouse.com/e...installamp.htm
Subwoofer tools under Signal: http://www.subwoofertools.com/defaul...&CategoryID=12
I'm not saying that you get noise 100% of the time but as a precaution you should at seperate them at least 8-10" from the power wire. I just found it easier to run my RCA's on the drivers side and run my power on the passenger side. But please feel free to not do this as it is a myth and apparently doesn't happen.

Arent RCA cables shielded or something like that so their wont be any interferance from the power cable? I did the exact same as you did in wiring up my car. Besides, ya cant fit all the wires under either side plastic trim piece at the same time.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Josh_101
Arent RCA cables shielded or something like that so their wont be any interferance from the power cable? I did the exact same as you did in wiring up my car. Besides, ya cant fit all the wires under either side plastic trim piece at the same time.
well, that all depends on the particular RCA patch cables you get. remember the old saying "you get what you pay for"? the same holds true here.

if you buy some cheap, shitty wal-mart RCA cables, you're a lot more likely to get alternator whine than if you get some good shielded, twisted-pair RCA's (make sure the package states that they're shielded, and read some reviews on them if at all possible). i actually used CAT-5 twisted-pair ethernet cable for my signal, and have zero noise....but then again, i also ran my power cable on the opposite side of the car from the signal wires.

the RCA/power cable "myth" is not really a myth, it just doesn't happen 100% of the time....likely due to what i mentioned above....the differences in quality between cables.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:45 AM
TECH Resident

also remember to keep the ground wire as short as possible to prevent unwanted noise.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah on my old car the power wire was right next to the RCA's and there was no noise