Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Getting a short I think?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Getting a short I think?

So I was driving down the road today switching stations on the radio and my music just quit playing, and the clock on the deck shut off, but all the other lights on the cd player, and in the car stayed on. Then it briefly came on and off and I was getting pissed. I had the windows down and it was getting cold so I tried to role the windows up, and nothing. Now I am getting really pissed. My CD player came back on again and I tried to role my window up and it went like half way up and shut off. Then randomly it all started working again for the rest of the 5 minutes to my destination. I am just wondering if its gonna screw me again next time I get in the car.

Is this a short? Where should I look. I am scared of electronics so anyone that could point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same thing happend to me but mine started working perfectly once i restarted the car really ****** weired tho..sorry i cant point you in the right direction, I am the same way with electronics **** confuses me.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mines working fine now too????????????????????? I just want to make sure it will never happen again.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:40 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Both the windows and the radio are on the retained accessory power (RAP) circuit which is controlled by the body control module (BCM). There have been a few people who have experienced similar problems that turned out to be a loose wire in the BCM connector. This would be the dark blue wire in the 6-pin black connector at the BCM. The BCM is a black box about the size of a paperback book mounted under the dash on the right side behind the glovebox.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Both the windows and the radio are on the retained accessory power (RAP) circuit which is controlled by the body control module (BCM). There have been a few people who have experienced similar problems that turned out to be a loose wire in the BCM connector. This would be the dark blue wire in the 6-pin black connector at the BCM. The BCM is a black box about the size of a paperback book mounted under the dash on the right side behind the glovebox.
Thank you kind sir. Thats exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I will see if anything is loose when I get a break from work. I had my music kind of loud so maybe that was enough to knock something loose...
Old 03-12-2008, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Juicy J
I had my music kind of loud so maybe that was enough to knock something loose...
Who knows....they tend to come loose on their own, though that certainly might have facilitated the process. This is actually pretty common - I must have seen this problem mentioned 20-30 times over the last 2 years (not saying that it was a loose wire at BCM every time though).