Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Car randomly wouldn't start?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 09:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car randomly wouldn't start?

Went out to the car yesterday and it randomly wouldn't crank. Got power to everything but it just wouldn't try to turn over. Looked at the gauges and the "security" light was on. I locked/unlocked closed/opened doors and just messed with it to figure out wtf was going on. Couldn't get anything to happen. So I left in another vehicle and about 45 min later my car started as normal.

Called a buddy of mine and he said this has happened twice in his T/A since he has owned it. He had to do the same thing and just keep locking/unlocking until it would randomly work.

Is this problem pretty common? What causes this? How can I fix this so I don't get stranded in the middle of bum **** Egypt one day? This is the first time this has happened to my car in the 4 years I have owned it.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:14 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The security light in the instrument cluster has nothing to do with locking/unlocking the doors or the alarm system. It is part of the VATS system - the resistor pellet on your ignition key. Try cleaning the key or using your spare key. Or you can bypass the VATS system with a cheap resistor. A quick search for "VATS" will bring up lots of threads about how to bypass it.