Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

2000 SS, Weird Cluster Problem after jumpstarting...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 SS, Weird Cluster Problem after jumpstarting...

Guys, Im a little new around here but tonight I was having some weird issues with my cluster. Two days ago the battery was dead, when I tried starting it the speedo and tach would bouce about half way up when the key was inserted and then go back to flat, didn't think anything of it. I jumped the car off tonight and let it idle for about 15 minutes before taking it around the block a few times. While on my drive I noticed several weird problems:

1. When headlights on, engine on, in gear (clutch out), cluster flatlines.

2. When headlights on and engine is on, in gear (clutch in), cluster works.

3. When headlights off, engine on, in gear (clutch out), cluster works.

4. Engine off, Acc on, cluster works.

I did a short search and saw people were having problems with clusters on 99's but didn't see anything quite like the problem I am having. Can anyone help??

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2008, 05:19 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Do you still have the bad battery in the car?
Old 04-04-2008, 05:50 AM

Yes, I haven't changed it yet. Do you think this is whats causing the problem?
Old 04-04-2008, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the battery is weak still it could be problem
Old 04-04-2008, 07:08 PM

Well I replaced the battery but that still didn't fix it. I noticed that on the way home pushing in the clutch really didn't have anything to do with the problem. It was the pressure of my left foot against the floorboard or the firewall. Somewhere under the carpet or behind the trim paneling I must have a loose wire. Anyone have any thoughts on where I should start checking for the loose connection?
Old 04-05-2008, 03:19 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mullettSSrock
Well I replaced the battery but that still didn't fix it. I noticed that on the way home pushing in the clutch really didn't have anything to do with the problem. It was the pressure of my left foot against the floorboard or the firewall. Somewhere under the carpet or behind the trim paneling I must have a loose wire. Anyone have any thoughts on where I should start checking for the loose connection?
Pull the carpet back under the steering column and trace the wires up to the ignition harness. (Should have a 12GA red, yellow, and yellow/green trace wire in it.) follow it from the fire wall to the cloumn and trace to the headlight switch then to the side fuse panel. Also get a test light and with the key in the ON position check every fuse for connection under the hood and in the car. (takes about 5 minutes) NOTE: make sure to check both sides of fuse.

I had similar problems in my T/A and as strange and unpredictable as the problems were it turned out to be a bad fuse.