Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

installing front speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default installing front speakers

i got stuck installing my front speakers so i read the thread about installing the front speakers and the sticky monsoon FAQ's and re-wired the front speakers. it sounds good but when i turn the volume up its cracks and pops real bad. i have the alpine type s, sps 600. how exactly do i hook up the black, yellow, dark blue and light blue on the front left and the light green, purple, orange and dark green on the front right? what wires do i want to connect? do i want to connect the tweeter wires and the mid wires?
Old 04-13-2008, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

What year and model car do you have. The colors you are stating are not the same as my 2000 T/A. However, I do have access to wiring diagrams for all F bodies, so I can help you out if needed. I won't use wire colors right now to avoid confusion, but on my T/A, the tweeters are driven directly from the HU and have a high-pass cross over at the tweeters. These wires also split and provide a full range input signal to the amp. All other speakers are driven from the amp. In my opinion, you need to replace the speakers and amp at the same time to not be disappointed with the results. The reasons are that the only full range signal available is from the HU that does not have enough power to drive a quality speaker that most likely has it's own cross over network. If you drive the speakers off the factory amp, you then run into the built in signal processing that most liklely will conflict with the new speakers cross over network. Now, if an amp is not in the budget right now, drive the speakers off the factory amp with the cross over network that came with the new speakers. IMO this will result in the best sound. Just remember, the factory amp is designed for 2ohm speakers and yours are most likely 4ohm that will cut the amps power in half.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

i have a 01 camaro SS, i just got the car last year and it has an amp in it but i thought that was just for the sub that was in there. its an orion 4002, which i think is a two way channel. do i need to hook this back up to get rid of the cracks? if so, how do i wire it back up to speakers?
Old 04-14-2008, 08:01 PM
Staging Lane

Not really up to speed on the orion amps, but by the model number, I'm guessing is a 2 channel, 400 watt amp. Not sure if it's 2 ohm stable or not, or if it can be bridged or not. Assuming it can be bridged and run sterio at the same time(tri-mode) my best answer is to run the front speakers and sub on the amp and run the rest of the speakers on the factory amp. If the front speakers have there own crossovers, use them, if not, i would get the parts crossover the speakers to play about 100 and up and the sub about 100 and down.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:15 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stock speakers are 2ohm but running a 4ohm in place of them doesn't lose that much in usuable power. It actually only results in about a 3dB loss when transalated to actual sound output loss vs. power loss. The most notable difference is at low volume if you have the new 4ohm speaker in place and the old stock one in place on the other side. You do notice the difference. However, when you turn the volume up to a moderate level or above you will notice the stock speaker will distort and the new speaker (being of higher quality) will maintain sound quality and performance. You will also gain volume on the higher end without getting the distortion you'd normally get so there is a tradeoff. I use 4ohm speakers in F-bodies on stock Monsoon power consistently with great results and a vast improvement in sound mostly due to the aftermarket speakers also having at least 90dB of sensitivity or higher in some cases. This helps with the difference in impedance as well. So overall you gain useable volume and sound quality with a quality 4ohm speaker. The loss is at the lower volume level and with both speakers replaced you wouldn't notice a difference at all in volume.