Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Turn signal issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 05:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal issue

I have been looking through any fbody forum I can find to solve this, and figured I would start a thread since my search produced no results.

I have a 2000 3.8L with 140k on her odometer. my wife got her with 22k on her back in 02. around 36k i noticed for about a month she would go through turn signal bulbs quite frequently. I would replace one, 10 miles later it would blow. i would say i went through 6 or 7 before it would work right. the first few times I only replaced the burnt one, after that i did it in pairs. after the third time, the right one stopped having issues and the left one did the same thing. i replaced the bulbs 2 or three more times,then it stopped acting up.

I did notice two things during my bulb changes. first my work time reduced drastically after I realized the easiest way is to remove the headlight completely. second, and more importantly, I saw that the front blinker bulb receptacles themselves were slightly discolored. they looked almost like they were getting too hot and turning brown. Shortly after that it stopped acting up and worked flawlessly until now. I got into the habbit of replacing both bulbs at once to avoid this problem

Yesterday i hit 140,000 exactly and for the past month it has been doing it again, only with a twist. now my right one is blown, and the left one only blinks after the car has been driven for a while, but then stops working again. when both blinkers dont blink, the right one, still good, doesnt turn on. when the right one blinks, it is actually lighting up like normal.

both sockets have discolored further, it looks like the plastic has melted though it still holds the bulb properly.

I thought it might be my car only, so I went to a junk yard to get the wire'ing harness off another fbody, and noticed the same discoloration. I have replaced the flasher before but it doesnt seem to be the issue this time. I figured I would come to experts. Am I the only one who has this problem?
Old 04-18-2008, 07:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These things are terrible. I have replaced mine several times as well. Some things I have tried: Replacing the socket with one from Auto Zone ($9), loading it with dilectric grease, make sure to wear gloves to keep the dilectric grease and hand oils off the bulb, and I also drilled a couple of holes from under the housings to let moisture drain. I can't say I have all the answers, as I still have some issues from time to time.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:07 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well chevy electronics arent the best haha...

I would see about getting a volt meter out and seeing if you are having some kinda of power surge thats popping all these bulbs...

Ive had my camaros for over 4 years now and NEVER replaced a blinker bulb...
Old 04-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Also check for water inside the housing. If so, you have a crack and need a new lens/housing. Water touching the hot bulb will cause it to blow.